Author Topic: Building another flintlock  (Read 82525 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Building another flintlock
« Reply #240 on: July 29, 2016, 09:43:21 pm »
I like everything about it, Eric. Thanks for posting this. Kinda hate to see it come to an end.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #241 on: July 30, 2016, 03:32:36 am »
Came out very nice. Really enjoyed this post Eric - thanks for sharing ! Any new projects looming in the future ? Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #242 on: July 30, 2016, 08:24:51 am »
I am going back to making bows for a long while, this project took the wind out of my sails with so many things going wrong.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #243 on: July 30, 2016, 10:55:09 am »
It looks great Eric. You did a fine job and I can't wait to hear how it shoots.
BTW, is that a Rich Pierce flint I see in the lock?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #244 on: July 30, 2016, 12:08:44 pm »
Nope, Green Mountain barrels are made of much tougher steel than the other barrel makers, I breeched it properly so there is no reason to proof it.

If I was going to proof the barrel I would have done it before I put the barrel in the stock.

After all, why spend the hours building everything up when you have no clue if it is a barrel or a bomb? All the major barrel makers these days are good at what they do. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #245 on: July 30, 2016, 01:22:12 pm »
Nope, Green Mountain barrels are made of much tougher steel than the other barrel makers, I breeched it properly so there is no reason to proof it.

If I was going to proof the barrel I would have done it before I put the barrel in the stock.

After all, why spend the hours building everything up when you have no clue if it is a barrel or a bomb? All the major barrel makers these days are good at what they do. 

Yea, JW, some fine barrels out there. The Archery Club I shoot at is called Long Hammock, Guess what business is on the property? :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #246 on: July 30, 2016, 03:58:16 pm »

Yea, JW, some fine barrels out there. The Archery Club I shoot at is called Long Hammock, Guess what business is on the property? :)

Yup!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #247 on: July 30, 2016, 04:08:11 pm »
Yep, A Rich Pierce flint, the best sparkers I have ever put in a gun. It is a shame he no longer makes them, I have 5 or 6 left, they last hundreds of shots.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #248 on: August 01, 2016, 08:22:12 am »
Have you fired it yet???

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #249 on: August 01, 2016, 08:37:22 am »
Nope, truth is I grew to hate this rifle while I was building it because so many things went wrong, I put it up for a "cooling off" period. I got it out of the gun safe yesterday to look it over and take it to show to my friends. I am starting to like it, a little.

It has rained every day here for a week or so, rain then the sun comes out and it is steamy hot, not good flintlock shooting weather.

JacksonCash

« Reply #250 on: August 01, 2016, 10:03:08 am »
Well, if you can't find room in your heart for it, I'm sure there's plenty of volunteers to take it off your hands! This has been a really really cool post to follow Eric, thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #251 on: August 04, 2016, 01:13:38 pm »
Well, if you can't find room in your heart for it, I'm sure there's plenty of volunteers to take it off your hands! This has been a really really cool post to follow Eric, thanks for taking us along for the ride.

+1, and I'll be glad to say  I would be proud to take that rifle off your hands if it will help ease your heart.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #252 on: August 09, 2016, 10:01:58 am »
That turned out beautiful Eric. Thanks for sharing the build along with us. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #253 on: August 12, 2016, 07:22:12 pm »
Ready to go bang!

Taking a few shot at 28 yards;

After a little sight adjustment, 2 holes touching at 28 yards, squirrels beware!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #254 on: August 12, 2016, 07:30:32 pm »
Sweet Eric............................. "thumbs up"
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking