Author Topic: Building another flintlock  (Read 82523 times)

Offline DC

Re: Building another flintlock
« Reply #225 on: July 20, 2016, 08:59:25 pm »
This thread has really tempted me and I'll bet I haven't shot a gun for 40 years. Maybe if I get tired of making bows ;) ;)

Seeing your attention to detail, DC, that would be a fine rifle!

Another capital "I" :D :D :D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #226 on: July 20, 2016, 09:03:31 pm »
This thread has really tempted me and I'll bet I haven't shot a gun for 40 years. Maybe if I get tired of making bows ;) ;)

Seeing your attention to detail, DC, that would be a fine rifle!

Another capital "I" :D :D :D

Seriously, you owe yourself one really decent flintlock rifle.  This goes for everyone reading along this thread religiously!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #227 on: July 21, 2016, 06:56:31 am »
That is coming along very nice Eric. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #228 on: July 22, 2016, 08:51:50 am »
My latest hair pulling session! I started putting everything together and the barrel wouldn't go in, somehow the tang got bent ,I don't remember dropping the barrel on the tang end but it had a pronounced hump where the tang bolt goes through. Out with the rubber mallet and the pounding began. At first I went too far, then too little and finally got it to where the tang would fit in the mortise. It appeared to have a little sideways bend but so my perfect wood to metal fit isn't perfect anymore.

I got the barrel in and started assembling the lock, I decided to file off the fat side of the top flint jaw screw so it wouldn't bind, next I found the top jaw was not cut properly and would bind as well, a file took care of this problem. I put the guts of the lock together and the hammer wouldn't go down on the tumbler all the way. I took it back off and could see a burr in the square hole that fits over the end of the tumbler.  Out with the needle files, file and check, file and check for about 1/2 hr and the fit is better but still not right. I have to take the lock back apart and and file some more, I can see where the hammer is binding on one side of the tumbler shaft.

Tomorrow I am going to disassemble the gun correct every little glitch I found on assembly. 

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #229 on: July 23, 2016, 01:36:18 pm »
I went out to the shop to wrap things up on my flintlock and found RUST, lots of it on all my parts.

The last barrel I browned stopped rusting the minute I neutralized the browning solution, not so with my current build.  I stripped everything down, scrubbed all the parts with simple green cleaner then soaked in ammonia again, dried and oiled.

After a little research I found that after rusting was common and would generally stop in a few days. I elected to slow the process down with more ammonia.

I am going to leave everything apart for a few days to make sure the rusting has stopped.

I might need to borrow a little hair from someone, I have pulled all of mine out over this project. 

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #230 on: July 27, 2016, 09:29:34 am »
Getting the rusting to stop on the barrel has been a problem. I have neutralized the browning solution 3 times which has stopped the rusting on the other metal parts but not the barrel.

I have a really deep color on my mountings, no rust now.

The barrel is still rusting;

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #231 on: July 28, 2016, 09:57:34 am »
The saga continues; Today, rain, more rust, even on things that had stopped rusting.

Today's procedure; A through washing with straight dawn detergent, rinse with very hot water, a scrubbing with baking soda paste slurry, hot water rinse, dry with a torch and Rig gun grease applied in copious amounts while the barrel was still very hot.

I was going to flood the barrel with WD40 but it wasn't on my lubricant shelf. I then remembered I had knocked the can off my work bench some time ago, broken the nozzle off and rendered it unusable.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #232 on: July 28, 2016, 10:46:38 am »
Eric, WD40 is a great grease cutter. It might affect the end results. Might do a test with it first.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #233 on: July 29, 2016, 05:39:15 pm »
Last post!!!!!!!!!

I finally tapped out and quit. The rust had become very slight so I rubbed everything down one more time, put a coat of Renaissance wax on everything and did my final assembly.

The project came out pretty good if you don't look too close.

[/URL

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ekrewson/media/Squirrel%20rifle/squirrel%20rifle%20done%20005_zpsikw4iomh.jpg.html]

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 05:43:08 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline DC

« Reply #234 on: July 29, 2016, 05:51:15 pm »
It's beautiful! Thanks for doing this Eric. You may have a follower.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #235 on: July 29, 2016, 06:10:18 pm »
Somebody is bound to ask, so I will simply get this out of the way:  How many hours do you estimate?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #236 on: July 29, 2016, 06:12:45 pm »
Looks pretty damn amazing from here man! Good Job! Now we need a "full draw" pic of it being fired...

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #237 on: July 29, 2016, 07:27:36 pm »
I would guess 125 hours give or take 25 or so, I didn't keep track.

Offline DC

« Reply #238 on: July 29, 2016, 07:45:22 pm »
Looks pretty damn amazing from here man! Good Job! Now we need a "full draw" pic of it being fired...

Speaking of which. Is there some kind of testing procedure you have to go though, like put the gun in a vice, tie a string on the trigger, hide behind the barn and pull. I saw a "How It's Made" about where a custom gun maker had to send the guns out to a testing agency where they tested it with a double load.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #239 on: July 29, 2016, 08:00:09 pm »
Nope, Green Mountain barrels are made of much tougher steel than the other barrel makers, I breeched it properly so there is no reason to proof it.

If I was going to proof the barrel I would have done it before I put the barrel in the stock.