Author Topic: Building another flintlock  (Read 85917 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Building another flintlock
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2016, 08:15:02 pm »
I am going to call the trigger guard inlet done. I still have to drill for the pins to hold it in place but that's no big deal.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2016, 06:59:05 pm »
Ramrod pipe time.

The gun I am making a loose copy of has hand filed flats and wedding rings in the pipes which I will try to duplicate.

The pipe on the left has an hours work in it, the one on the right is what I started with.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2016, 07:50:37 am »
Great thread, it's the little fixes and mistakes and perseverance that separates the men from the boys.
Thanks for taking the time to post.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline gifford

« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2016, 10:27:49 am »
Nicely done Eric, best how to thread on building a long rifle I've read to date. Kudos to your patience, skill and taking the time to photograph and document. Thanks again. 

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2016, 07:42:32 pm »
  SWEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

I've built 3 in the past.

Just like building a bow useing it. FLINT LOCK IS AS FAR BACK AS YOU CAN GO WITH A RIFLE.

GREAT JOB
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2016, 07:00:33 pm »
The tabs are too big on the pipes so I cut them back a bit so I have less of a slot to cut.

Marking where to inlet a slot for the tab;

The tab was a little too tall and I was hitting the barrel so I ground a little more off.

I make a variety of el-cheapo special tools for working on my gun. Tool snobs will gasp at my crude creations but they work for an intended purpose. Here is a horseshoe nail chisel and a flea market screwdriver turned into a skew chisel to clean out the slots.

First soot marking, I outlined the front and rear of the pipe with an exacto knife.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2016, 06:58:57 pm »
When you tap the pipe to get a soot transfer be sure to put a 3/8" dowel in the pipe. If you don't, the pipe will flatten a little (or a lot) and you inletting will be way off. I remembered this tip a little too late while inletting this pipe.........

First pipe in, OK job not great. Be sure to mark the front end so you put it in the inlet the same every time.

If you use chisels a carving mallet is a must. I have my granddaughters make them for me on my hobby lathe.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #142 on: March 31, 2016, 03:26:10 pm »
Nice mallet.  I tend to pick up a chunka whatever comes to hand, including a big steel splitting wedge from time to time.  I could use a nice mallet like that.  Does she take custom orders???
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2016, 05:36:03 pm »
There are several parts on a rifle that are a pain to inlet because you have to line up several things just right to get them to work. Butt plates and ramrod entry pipes are my least favorite.

Ramrod entry pipe, here we go.

Because all the pipes are the same size it is much easier to inlet one of the other pipes into the ramrod channel where the entry pipe will go so you have this part of the inlet done for the most part.

After you get the basic pipe inlet done it is black and chisel the pipe return down into the wood. It is a good idea to put a piece of wood across your ramrod groove while you chisel because you are going to slip, especially while trying to cut very curly wood and gouge out a place in the wood below you didn't want to make a cut in.

This will be a long process, I just got started.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2016, 09:39:20 am »
 I was getting sloppy with the entry pipe inlet and put things aside to regroup. I made arrows, worked on my shooting, traveled to my first tournament in a year, tilling everyone's garden and will be working on a bow for a few days.

All this should clear my head and have me back in flintlock mode shortly. I have not stopped the process and pictures, I just took a break.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2016, 09:56:33 am »
Sometimes you got to walk away..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #146 on: April 26, 2016, 04:35:52 pm »
Back to work;

I have worked on the entry pipe inlet for a day or so, slow going to keep a tight inlet and get the dang thing in place.

The inlet looks really good and tight but ramrod won't go in the forestock. Blackening the end of a ramrod I find I need to go about 1/16" deeper with the pipe. Getting everything lined up on these is a pain. I got a little chipping on the forestock but will file this away when I bring the wood down to the metal.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 04:41:53 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #147 on: April 26, 2016, 06:29:49 pm »
Thanks Eric really enjoy following this post........
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2016, 09:45:00 am »
Finally! I hate to admit how long it took for me to ease this entry pipe into place, at least two full days, but then again, I work really slowly to keep from goofing up. It always amazes me how how perfectly a part fits in the wood with the black and chisel method. I have a very tight inlet on this piece, the ramrod slides in with no resistance.

I am going to pin the trigger guard and all the ramrod pipes next. After that I am going to do something simple and easy; inlet and install the toe plate .
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 09:57:34 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #149 on: April 30, 2016, 05:46:51 pm »
I decided to pin the ramrod pipes and trigger guard today, what a disaster!

I located the lugs first;

Measured where i wanted the pin to go through with my handy dandy el cheapo pin locator.

After marking the drill entry point is was off to the drill press;

The first one went perfectly.

Things went downhill from there,  my bit wandered on the next one so I plugged the errant of side hole with glue and a toothpick and redrilled, everything came out fine on the next try, same for the entry pipe. All the pipes are pinned and looking good except for a couple of toothpick patched holes.