Author Topic: Wisdom needed for a pole bow  (Read 1268 times)

Offline smoke

Wisdom needed for a pole bow
« on: November 23, 2015, 01:57:16 pm »
Folks, I discovered a nice stand of osage saplings of about 3 to 4 inch diameter and thought some pole bows might be calling me.  My question is, do I split the staves as I would with a larger diameter tree - or just cut, seal and season?  Any insights are appreciated.  thanks, Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Wisdom needed for a pole bow
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 03:18:06 pm »
Don, what I do is be sure they aren't growing twisted. Then pick the 2 best halves and bandsaw lengthwise and bind them back together with air spacers between. I used about 5 or 6 pieces of 1/4" plywood for the spacers. Then set them aside to dry. I leave the bark on. If you do be sure to insect proof them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 03:30:53 pm »
Like Pat said.  With any wood, do what he says.  I also look for small differences in the tree and try to take staves from the high and low side, because if you take them from the sides, they will warp laterally instead of into reflex when they dry.  I have never found a tree species that won't do this in a small sapling.

Also, look the tree over carefully.  Often as not there is really only one good stave in a 3" tree, and you'll ruin it trying to get 2.   And, like, maybe there is a great stave on one side and a good candidate for decrowning and backing.

If you do split them, look it over carefully and chose your splits well.  I even kerf the edges with the tip of my small chainsaw, or drill a few pilot holes in case it tries to wander.

One thing I'd certainly do is make a bow now, and then watch in excitement as those saplings grow to 6-8"" trees!  You can even groom small branches off them and stuff!

Offline smoke

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 08:29:43 am »
Thanks guys - as always, your insights are very helpful!