Author Topic: Sinew question  (Read 5336 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Sinew question
« on: November 20, 2015, 08:08:38 pm »
No matter how much I separate and comb, I can't get back strap sinew to look as good and smooth and leg tendon. I pre soak sinew in warm water for 10-20 min, should back strap be soaked longer?

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Sinew question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 08:34:02 pm »
I just did a bow with back strap sinew,,
I had never used it before,, it was a little more coarse for me too,,not quite as smooth
but it went on nice,,and the bow turned out nice,, and it was faster to apply since it was so long,,
I am sure there are ways to make it as smooth as the leg sinew,, probably pats method would make it really nice,, did you try wrapping it,,??

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 08:36:42 pm »
Kudos to you for combing your sinew but I've never done it.I realize the sinew should be laid in nice straight lines though.I just lay mine down 3 or 4 strands at a time onto the bow.Your right though backstrap sinew requires more soaking time and preferably in warm water.Sometimes I sort of roughen up the backstrap threads with the edge of a knife carefully so they soak up more water readily.Even then I mostly just use leg sinew[elk] for backing bows.It pulls apart into nice white fluffy strands and soaks up the water quickly.I use the backstraps for wraps etc.No matter what preparing that sinew takes time as you know.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 03:25:06 am »
Yep that's the deal with backstrap.
You can get it good but not as good as leg.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 07:29:42 am »
Backstrap sinew is good for backs though.I've used cattle and buffalo backstrap before too with good success.Talk about some long strands....lol.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 09:02:29 am »
I find the opposite true. I can get back strap sinew to look like glass, leg sinew looks like crap. It always seems wirey and stiff to me. Try a pet de-shedder comb. Makes angel hair outta it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 09:27:24 am »
Yes I'm sure your right.I've never shredded backstrap,but I'm sure it would work.Maybe more waste though.I get my leg tendon down nice and smooth.If it looks nice and smooth right after application in 2 days it will be pristinely smooth.I'll do one limb at a time to meld the next strands together into the previous bundle before it gells up.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 10:00:02 am »
I get a better backing results with back sinew than leg but my favorite is cow leg sinew.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 11:02:40 am »
That is why I only use leg sinew to back a bow. Dosent matter to me that it's more work and it takes longer. I only use back sinew for wrapping. I found that if you use a round object to break down the back sinew it works really good. I just use a 1in dowel that I clamp to the edge of my work bench. Then I hold the back sinew at each end and "saw"  it back and forth over the dowel. It brakes it down nicely. Then when I'm ready I soak it in warm water for an hour or two. It takes a while to hydrate it. Hope this helps bud. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 11:26:47 pm »
I agree with Pearl. I always use leg sinew for my first layers, but for the final top layer I sometimes use back sinew. It's long enough to cover 1 limb and when shreaded and combed as fine as silk, it looks better than leg sinew

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 12:59:27 am »
Thanks for your input guys

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 03:15:43 am »
I have only one piece of a backstrap, and use it only for wrapping.
I do all my sinew backing with leg tendons of different species. But I soak it all over night.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

bownarra

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 03:58:16 am »
I find the opposite true. I can get back strap sinew to look like glass, leg sinew looks like crap. It always seems wirey and stiff to me. Try a pet de-shedder comb. Makes angel hair outta it.

You must be getting some strange sinew dude!
If you can get backstrap to look like glass you can get both to look like glass - fact.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 07:37:03 am »
Must be luck.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 08:32:58 am »
I have gotten into a habit of for the final course to put long backstrap strands on too.I can remember the first sinew job I did.....lol.Filling poor application cracks with hide glue thinking huh that'll be nice.You know what I listened to the first time I bent it.Craaaack....Criiinkle.Nowadays I've adjusted my squeezing pressure between my fingers just right where every bow I tiller now does'nt make a sound.Usually weighing it after it's dried the hide glue takes up about 1/3 of the weight of my sinew jobs.The other two thirds is sinew.
BowEd
Ed