Author Topic: Advice for bow dimensions  (Read 2175 times)

Offline ty_in_ND

Advice for bow dimensions
« on: November 21, 2015, 12:13:39 pm »
Hello all!

About a year ago, I made a bow for my wife as a Christmas gift. I don't have the exact dimensions in front of me, but it is a pyramid red oak board bow.  It's worked out pretty well (has over 1000 shots through it and it's still going strong!), but the weight of the bow is a hair on the low side.  It ended up being around 17# at her draw length of 25 inches.  It was fine for her at first, as she was completely new to archery and I didn't want to overbow her.  She's stated recently that the bow is super easy to draw back now and that she would like to try a heavier bow.

So, I want to build her a bow that would be in the 25-30# range @ 25 inches.  I have a nice, straight grained hickory board that I want to use.  As far as a design, I'd like to follow Bubby's pyramid bow build-along, but use dimensions that will have me end up with the desired weight I'm looking for.  I tried to look up dimensions for a ladies/youth bow, but nothing really popped up for what I'm looking for.  If any of you could either point me in the right direction or if you've made a similar board bow yourself and could share the dimensions of your finished product, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your help!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline bubby

Re: Advice for bow dimensions
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 07:43:25 pm »
Ty in my build the bow is 2" wide if you go 1 3/4" wide instead you should be ok
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 08:22:34 pm »
 For a pyramid of that weight I would say no wider than 1 3/8".

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 11:50:16 pm »
Steve in my build its 66" i figure roughed put to 1-3/4" will give him some room for error tiller wise and at 25" drae instead of 28-29" like in my build
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 04:03:01 am »
I'd rough out hickroy at 1 1/2 wide then maybe reduce width a little once i'd got near full draw and had a handle on the amount of set.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 10:27:31 am »
Thanks for the input Bubby, Steve, and Bownarra.  I will start at 1-3/4" and go from there (not going any lower than 1-3/8) as far as the starting width is concerned.  Since everyone loves pictures, I'll be sure to post the bow when it's done!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."