Author Topic: Tanned Deer Hide  (Read 3448 times)

Offline CavemanRob

Tanned Deer Hide
« on: November 18, 2015, 09:25:11 pm »
I am trying to figure out what to do with a deer hide I have.  Its fairly old (10 years +), it was commercially tanned, and it still has the hair on it.  It was the first deer I ever shot, and my father and grandfather had it tanned for me, so it holds some sentimental value.  I just can't for the life of me figure out what exactly to do with it.  Hanging it on the wall isn't really my thing, I'd rather make it into some kinds of clothing or something, but I have no idea where to start.  I guess I'm just hoping someone here will give me an idea that I can run with.

I'm not very experience in leather-work either, so I'm nervous to cut into it, although I'd take a lot of time with it and make sure I measure thrice cut once on this project.

Ill try and post some pics of it tomorrow.

Ideas anyone?

-Rob
"Nobody owns you, Nobody owes you"
-Rob
"nobody owns you, nobody owes you"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tanned Deer Hide
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 10:41:37 pm »
Quiver, possible bag. Make a pattern with poster board first.
 When cutting hair on hides cut from the flesh side with a sharp razor knife. To sew it together you can buy a stitching awl with the thread enclosed or punch holes with a sharpened ice pick and stitch it together with strong thread.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline CavemanRob

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 10:03:17 am »
My first instinct was to line some sort of jacket or vest, I think I have enough considering it's a full hide.   I am pretty handy with a needle and thread, I've just not worked with a stitching awl very much. 

My two worries are that 1.  Im going to mess up the hide trying to cut it....(thanks for the tip on cutting from the hide side) and 2. If I make a wearable piece of clothing, the hair is going to constantly fall off.

If any experienced leather workers have a place where I can find patterns for vests, that would be helpful.  I have a number of books on Native American bushcraft/tools, but they mostly consist of very basic buckskin shirts, and I was hoping to find something a little more "wearable" for use while I am out hunting........( Fur side in and inside another layer of course)
-Rob

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 10:55:08 am »
Clothing from a hair on deer hide is not the best. deer hair is hollow and will break and shed easy.
Makes a mess the longer you would wear it.
A quiver like Pat said. Why not paint your grandfathers story in pictoglyphs on it ?
Crazy Crow for patterns. 
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 11:52:48 am »
Whatever you decide to make, make sure of the direction of the hair. Try to set it up so the hair points down. Also, thin or remove the hair along any stitching lines before you sew.
 If you are familiar with sewing leather use your knowledge for this project.   The stitching awl can be bought at most hardware stores. It works like a sewing machine so if a stitch is broken the whole thing can unravel. Punching the stitching holes and hand stitching(either a running stitch or a saddle stitch) are your best and strongest options.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline CavemanRob

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 02:01:12 pm »
Thank you both for those ideas.  this is exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread.

spotted Dog, what do you mean about Crazy Crow for patterns?  I like the quiver with pictoglyphs idea, and might just do that.  a new quiver is something I need, (the one I have now is an old PVC pipe conversion) and something I would use and feel like the spirits of all parties involved (the deer, and my family) would be walking with me when I carry it.
-Rob

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 02:44:50 pm »
    they have all kinds of patterns, rondy stuff, Native American things too.
Lots of stuff
I have some small bags made from my Grandfathers feather bed. Real thick real pillow ticking. A teddy bear too. ::)
I hear him sometimes. "Get up boy. Coon in the hen house again ".

Dog
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 07:39:57 pm by Spotted Dog »
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

riverrat

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 08:43:37 pm »
spotted dog nailed it! you want to keep its sentimental value. its not going to be made into something your going to want to trade or not want eventually. your going to want to make something from it you will find useful and that you will be happy keeping until its dust.Tony

Offline CavemanRob

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 08:57:44 pm »
Thanks again everyone.  Such cool people here.  Ill be sure to post pics when I start working on it.
-Rob

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 05:18:33 am »
If there's enough left over would it be suitable for a pair of moccasin? Maybe for a youngster if a little left to use? Just an idea. :) ( or leggings for the bush)

Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 05:21:52 am by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 05:50:58 am »
Great ideas above but as for me the only thing I have seen a hair on deer hide is good for is draped over a table or for display. Love them for that, very cool looking, It's not fur it hollow hair that breaks and won't hold up to much use and is very messy if worn or used a lot. I made a back quiver out of one years ago and after a short time every time you would take it off you would have hair all over you back. Cool to look at but that's about it.  :) What ever you make I would suggest making something to look at or display knives/points exc. on ,not to wear or use. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 08:48:34 am »
Back in my rodeo days made a pair of chaps from a hair on deer hide, looked cool but slicker than snot, yup a plains style quiver would be my choice
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 09:21:41 am »
Deer hides with the hair on will shed badly. Soft haired fur is best for garment items. As Pappy said a hair on deer hide is great for display. Even as a rug they will shed badly by walking on them. Hair removed changes things and makes deer leather useable for a lot of things.
If you have room or a good place, making a wood frame and stretching it with cordage would make a cool display. Could then do your drawing or pictograph on it. Make it so you can hang other things on it like a quiver and bow..etc.  make your frame square or round and run cordage around it as you tighten it and hang it on a wall.
Good Luck, you have an interesting project to do regardless of what you decide on.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes