Author Topic: First deer with cast boolit!!  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

First deer with cast boolit!!
« on: November 21, 2015, 10:32:10 am »
I finally shot my first deer with a cast boolit from a center fire. Even ran at very mild levels it performed beautifully. Slightly quartering toward me at 15 yards. Placed it right behind the shoulder and he only went 60 yards or so. It's not the largest antlers but he has a big body, so lots of meat and a large hide to play with. I'll post more details and pics when I get him home. I'm thawing out a little in the truck while waiting for a buddy to show up to help me drag him out and hunt a little more. I hope it's fine that I post a rifle shot deer on the campfire.

Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: First deer with cast boolit!!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 12:06:52 pm »
Congrats, Kyle.  It's OK to post it here on "Around the Campfire".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 09:36:49 am »
Way to go.  I've been casting bullets for my lever action 44 mag for many years and I've taken many Deer and Bear with them.  Penetration is usually complete and most animals generally just drop on the spot
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 11:06:32 am »
Congratulations.  Where are the pics?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 12:00:13 pm »
I've only been able to get the one picture so far, I'm not a very camera happy person. If I stop what I'm doing to take one picture, that's doing good for me. I'll attempt to get some better ones here in a few minutes. I shot him with was with the 170gr lee flat nose that ends up at close to 180 gr after gas check and lube. Charged with 10 gr of unique for ~1500 fps. From the 1961 win '94 in 30-30 it's a fairly accurate load giving about 3" @ 100 yrd with very litle noise or recoil. I havnt started butchering him yet to see the damage done to the shoulder, but the bullet clipped the front of one lung, center punched the heart, caught the rear of they other lung, the liver, and the diaphragm. It was a smidgen over a 30 cal hole with about a golf ball size area worth of damage to everything. Not quite as damaging as I expected but still good enough to bring him down quick. I think the alloy is a little harder than I thought and I needto up my velocity a little to get a little more expansion. Though I will stick with that unique load for my day to day plinking.

While dragging this deer out my buddy and I jumped up a larger antlered buck with a couple of does. They didn't spook to bad and he had his any deer tag still, so we tried cutting him off. While still hunting through a thick spot we thought he might have held up we found a "doe" standing there muching on something at about 60 yards. So my fiend and I still having a couple of doe tags still decided to take "her" and do a double tap. At the count down and fire comand I wasn't quite perfectly lined up, but his bullet caught perfectly behind the shoulder and mine caught the liver.  We saw it run about 20 yards and heard it go down, so we took a couple minutes working out way around seeing if that buck might be in the area, which he wasn't. We decided to go find the "doe" and get her out. "She" didn't go far at all and left a massive blood trail, but wasn't quite dead, since we only waited a few minutes since we heard her fall. And we found that it was a spike, that due the the thick brush neither of us saw the antlers. But while it was working on standing up I put one more cast boolit into his heart and it was done. When my friend dressed it what he saw that my bullets did replicated what I saw they did on my deer. A caliber sized hole with about a golf all sized damage area. So I'll make up a faster charge to try to get a little more damage to put them down quicker. 

I also cast for my ruger Blackhawk in 45 colt. That thing love a paper patched 255 gr semi was cutter over h110. It's funny the revolver loves paper patch and the rifle hates it.

In the picture the hole you see is the exit. He was quartering toward me a little harder than I thought. He was close enough that with me on the ground I. Had a slight downward angle on the shot.  He's not the largest antlered deer in the woods, but that means he the perfect size for me to make tip overlays out of. and he is my largest bodied harvest to date. I'll try to get some more pictures up soon.

Thanks for looking, and sorry about all the rambling, it was a fun day with lots to tell.it seems like hunting with friends always turns out interesting.

Kyle

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 01:14:21 pm »
Nice looking buck.  Should be a lot of meat.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 04:34:45 pm »
No target panic on that dude! Nice work Kyle.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 05:59:25 pm »
After this year's struggle with a bolt action with a scope, I am more than ever convinced that I need to carry what you are carrying!  The old lever action "dirty-dirty" can do more for me where my shots are all under 100 meters and often half that!  If I cannot find the boiler room with a set of iron sights, I need to start hunting my meat at the supermarket.

Good work, Rifleman!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 09:47:44 pm »
I hope it's fine that I post a rifle shot deer on the campfire.

Kyle

Lol I was worried about my cross bow kill.
Nice when a plan comes together Kyle.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 05:40:07 am »
Nice job,love them old lever actions. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stoker

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 09:39:41 am »
Nice buck.. Gotta love the 30-30.. I use the Lee 160 gc loaded over black in a H&R topper
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano