Author Topic: Hickory self bow  (Read 6021 times)

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
Hickory self bow
« on: November 12, 2015, 09:22:53 pm »
This is my first go at a self bow. I got this nice hickory stave and have time tomorrow to get started. It does have a little bend to it so I was wondering how I get my center line down the length of the bow. Im guessing I cant just find dead center and hang a string off each end as it wont follow the grain exactly.
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline PatM

Re: Hickory self bow
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 09:27:52 pm »
 Narrow the handle area, steam it for half an hour and clamp it a hair past straight.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 06:55:43 am »
I just start at one end in the center trying to stay on the crown and hand draw the center line, then lay the bow out from that. After roughing it out to bow dimensions I do all the tip alignment and any other straightening it needs with dry heat.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 04:33:45 pm »
I took the wood off around the handle and steamed it. I could not get enough pressure on it to bend it a little in the opposite direction but I did get it clamped straight. While clamped I drew out my demesions roughly. I figure when I eventually unclamp it it will end up straighter than it was but not perfect. I will rough it out but leave plenty of room for error so I can clamp it again when it's at a more manageable size.
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 05:52:44 pm »
Get it all down to a floor tillered stave first before trying any heat corrections

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 05:59:33 pm »
What Blackhawk said.later on I use this method with a heat gun in the handle area.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 09:34:17 pm »
perfect. That is exactly what I am going to do thanks guys.
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 09:42:52 pm »
For a new guy straightening the stave first eliminates a few potential pitfalls of waiting until it's floor tillered.

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 10:08:19 pm »
For a new guy straightening the stave first eliminates a few potential pitfalls of waiting until it's floor tillered.

Im not going to go all the way to floor tillered. Im just going to see where it is when I unclamp it and may take just a little off the sides and belly before steaming it again. I havent done any wood removal yet except the handle as you recommended. I thought of a better way to get it clamped  I may try tomorrow also. That picture gave me a couple of ideas. If anyone else has some quick pics they have taken of whole staves when they were clamped it may give me some better ideas.
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 10:27:32 pm »
Use the same method as shown to straighten it. Leaving the rest of the stave thick just gives better leverage  and clamping surface area.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 04:31:45 am »
 As shown I place a wet rag under the heated area to protect the back from scorching and use a block of soft wood to prevent denting and thick leather for the same reason at pinch points.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 11:58:42 am »
Got it. I removed the clamps this morning and it's as near perfect as I can see. I put it on the rail of my porch and put a riser block between the stave and railing. Basically as it is in the picture.
Thanks so much!
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 05:52:10 pm »
Another question, when I roughed it out and got it cleaned up I notice that I seemed to have put a little twist in it when I had it clamped. Can I correct the twist using the same process?
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 06:06:54 pm »
Got it. I removed the clamps this morning and it's as near perfect as I can see. I put it on the rail of my porch and put a riser block between the stave and railing. Basically as it is in the picture.
Thanks so much!

Mwahahaha!  Success!

Another question, when I roughed it out and got it cleaned up I notice that I seemed to have put a little twist in it when I had it clamped. Can I correct the twist using the same process?

If it is more than 45 degrees twist, I would say get close to floor tiller and then heat and correct the twist. Otherwise, ignore it!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 06:10:30 pm »
Looks like the stave was already slightly twisted and straightening it has just drawn your attention to it. It's not really necessary to get it all out but you can just take it out with dry heat while you are heat treating, which is recommended.