Author Topic: Straight enough?  (Read 2781 times)

Offline DC

Straight enough?
« on: November 12, 2015, 06:40:26 pm »
I use my spine tester to check straightness. I keep at it until rotating the arrow only moves the needle between where it is in the picture and the "O". That would be .050". Some needle deflection is caused by the shafts being a bit out of round. These ones are hand planed. Do you think .050" is good enough or should I be a little fussier? I know I'll never get "carbon straight" but I probably could get a little better.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Straight enough?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 07:26:26 pm »
Put afield point on it and spin it on your finger tip. If it wobbles(by feel) it needs more work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 07:53:41 pm »
Thanks Pat, but with my arthritic hands the best I can do is a half a turn or so. They feel pretty good at that though :D

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 09:10:56 pm »
Shoot them and see what you think....I bet they fly great.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 03:32:52 pm »
..... :) :laugh:  >:D :laugh: :)  I get up and almost every moring my body is crooked leaning to the left as I have 2 worn out disks and also arthritis in the lower back.  Heck 2 bent arrows is the least of my problems.   ;D

On a good note nice work regardless.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 03:36:53 pm »
Five arrows!!! not two ;D ;D

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 06:04:51 pm »
Yep, but then again who is counting.   :)

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 11:23:39 pm »
I checked my 4 arrows I've been shooting for practice- all 4 were crazy crooked and bent up in multiple spots, but they still hit within 6" groups. Oddly straightening didn't get me smaller groups... Just stayed the same...
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 12:13:41 am »
This is one of my problems. I am not a good shot. On the rare occasion that I get something that could be called a group it's usually way bigger than that. Usually the only time I get a group is when I only shoot one arrow. ;D It makes it hard to know when to quit messing with my arrows and when to concentrate on practice. But I think that time has come. I believe my arrows are way more accurate than I am and until that turns around the arrows are good enough.

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 05:36:07 pm »
This is one of my problems. I am not a good shot. On the rare occasion that I get something that could be called a group it's usually way bigger than that. Usually the only time I get a group is when I only shoot one arrow. ;D It makes it hard to know when to quit messing with my arrows and when to concentrate on practice. But I think that time has come. I believe my arrows are way more accurate than I am and until that turns around the arrows are good enough.

My biggest problem is concentration, make a habit of getting the form down.  Try Gap shooting or practice Instinctive.  I look at the target, basic aiming was messing me up and I have both eyes open as my dominant eye is weaker than the left.
And yes some arrows are better than others I dont care how straight they are.  >:D