Author Topic: Why?  (Read 6994 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Why?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 10:44:12 am »
A holler is much bigger than gully. A gully is a small cut out where a small creek or branch is. I know what a coozy is but not a coulie. I coozy keeps your canned beverage insulated.

Now that that is settled.... They just count one side at a time out west because they only have five fingers on one hand and they need other hand to point at which finger they are counting. Here in the South we have whats known as southern hospitality. We get a buddy to let us borrow his other hand so we can count all the points at once. Up north they have higher edumacation so they count em all to look smart.

But seriously, are you not supposed to count the eye guards on a mule deer?

Nope, they are eye guards.  >:D
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline bubby

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 11:20:49 am »
I think eastern count they count the eye guards, we don't. We have spikes can't shoot them, sporks thats a spike on one side fork horn on the other, then three point, four point and on and on you get the drift, it don't matter how you count them ya can't eat horns
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 12:16:13 pm »
I think eastern count they count the eye guards, we don't. We have spikes can't shoot them, sporks thats a spike on one side fork horn on the other, then three point, four point and on and on you get the drift, it don't matter how you count them ya can't eat horns

Amen to that.

Offline Marks

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 12:45:01 pm »
Here in Alabama we count everything longer than an inch. Some folks count every little bump ::). I have a mainframe 8pt with a character point on both of his G2s. I call him a 10 pt. Sounds a heck of a lot better than a 3pt.

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 12:47:35 pm »

I go with the rule of, if it doesn't have a car in it, it is a creek.
I just spit my coffee all over my keyboard!!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2015, 12:55:39 am »

Some people out here, just count the space between the points.  I's from the South, I count em all!  If it is at least an inch, it gets counted.  They call a young four point, a basket buck.  A coulie, is a gulley, or to me a big ditch.  Some things, I still have a problem learning what they are, but it is slowly sinking in.  like arroyo.  Anywho, I always wondered the same thing, why is the numbering system different.  I think Utah people call mountains mounans,because if you ever flew over those mountains, you would wonder how in the heck did the pioneers, or NA's ever get over them, or through them  I think, if you spent the time on foot, or horseback, that it would take to cross those things, you might talk a little funny afterward. "Hey, Josiah, Whar ya been?"   "Oer dem moununs.  Ran outta carn.  Now ah needs a new harse."
                                    Wayne

Offline Traxx

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2015, 01:30:09 am »
Im more concerned about the quality and quantity of meat that will come off an animal.I only count the points,to verify legality and to tell someone if they ask,otherwise i dont concern myself much with it. :)

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2015, 10:51:09 pm »
This is why you only count the points on one side of a mule deer.

And for what it is worth,  growing up, I never understood why crick was spelled with two "e"s

Offline chamookman

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 03:45:01 am »
I trap Muskrats in the Creek and sometimes I get a Crick in My Neck  O:) ;). Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2015, 07:50:08 am »
 Here's another version of dips,hollers,and gulleys.A low swag.It's regional.....lol.They even say feesh instead of fish.They make fun of my northern Iowa accent all the time.No big deal.I think the scoring system for whitetails asks how many total points right from the start so I guess it puts the description in that type mentallity.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 07:31:02 am »
When you score a mulie do you only score one side?

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 10:03:32 am »
When you score a mulie do you only score one side?

Nope, same measurements. It still doesn't answer why. I'm not saying one way is right, and one way is wrong. Pop or soda, Jeans or levis, Sneakers or tennis shoes. Beanie or stocking cap. Lots of interesting variations of speech in one country, hell sometimes in one state.

Offline Tower

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2015, 06:23:14 pm »
Your coullies & gullies are called draws in the Tx Hill Country's lingo.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2015, 06:52:45 pm »
Your coullies & gullies are called draws in the Tx Hill Country's lingo.
Texas has Hills?  :o

Offline Tower

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2015, 06:58:29 pm »
Yes Sir it does. One of Gods Beauties!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!