Main Discussion Area > HowTo's and Build-a-longs

The amazing adventures of bootboy : The 7 Foot Longbow Build-a-long

(1/9) > >>

bootboy:
I started off looking for a suitable Peice of wood. When My metalhead friend from the old mill asked me To build him a long bow. I Readily Warmed to the idea of this as he told me Just what he wanted. A bow as tall as he was, in roughly the 80lbs range. The challenge being my friend happens to be seven feet taller. I measured his draw length. It was a freaky 3 feet from fist to chin. I knew my buddy's armspan was large but 3 feet of draw! man!

So I went through the woods near by, i found a pole of birch and had at home drying soon to be identified as Walnut stave. Both of suitable length for my personal viking giant. After weeks of suitable drying of these woods, I pulled out the longest one the full 7 foot long birch stave. A weaker wood yes but my friend wants seven feet and thats all that i had.  I laid out the centerline down the stave, after finding the halfway mark. I decided on a 8" handle.
 I went Onto Primitive archer to ask the experts for their opinion and low and behold I got several useful ones. Thusly spawning this build-a-long.

Before We Get into the meat of this fiberous operah, Lets meet the players shall we?
First is our star
Mr.Birch Stave.

[attachment deleted by admin]

david w.:
this should be fun :)

wolfsire:
Is that a natural relfex-deflex?

jamie:
 ;D

FlintWalker:
I went today and cut you a rivercane arrow for this bow. I'll post a picture later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version