Author Topic: I wish I would have listened more as a kid.  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Jax666

I wish I would have listened more as a kid.
« on: November 06, 2015, 03:47:39 pm »
My dad made me my first bow the summer between 2nd and 3rd grade. He was making "Tepees" for his pole bean from the cane that grew on our property in southern IL. It looked like a smaller version of Tim Baker's bow from page 153 of TBB IV.  He use twine for string and cut me a couple of smaller cane for arrows. He told me he made cane arrow for himself and his younger brothers and used nails pounded flat for arrow heads. He and my uncles killed small game with them. Years later I found what I still believe was a "lemon wood" bow in the basement of a house we moved to. He helped me make a string by twisting black braided fishing line. I wish I remembered how he twisted it. He told me he made the bows for him and his brothers from willow saplings. I told him "You cannot make bows out of willow"  He said sure you can, but you have to oil it or they break. I have no idea what he oiled them with. I am sure the draw weight was not very high. I imagine the killed the small game because of hunting skill and getting close.

Offline Traxx

Re: I wish I would have listened more as a kid.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 09:07:22 pm »
I wish I would have listened more as a kid.

Something most of us have realized in our life.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 03:08:13 am »
Yeah, but we were kids...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 08:05:32 am »
Dad was not a patient person. But he was a good explainer.
"Good" in the sense that his explanations were structured to be interesting and, therefore, you'd listen.
 But ya better "get it" the 1st time, cause there wasn't likely going to be a 2nd!   :o
My kids tell me that I'm alot like my dad.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857