Author Topic: New arrows  (Read 5652 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: New arrows
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 12:30:09 am »

Very nice Dc, those are really good looking arrows.  Yeah, if you have a metal lathe, you could make all kinds of nifty keen, type field points, and even make some points to accept some blades.  Make a long taper field point, and then groove slots in two or three positions, and insert blades, and silver solder, or braze the blades in.  Thanks for showing those.  Again, very nice.
                                    Wayne

riverrat

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 05:05:58 am »
nice arrows. very well made.Tony

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 03:35:49 pm »
DC, just a follow up on my question about Eastern (Canadian) hemlock vs. Western hemlock.

I found in the wood database that Eastern wouldn't be a good substitution for Western. Looks like western is pretty darn close to Port Orford cedar in strength and stiffness! Vry nice stuff you have there.  :)

Eastern hemlock is very slightly lighter but only about 2/3 as strong or stiff.

I could go up a little in diameter to say 3/8" to make them as strong, and stiff, but would probably add 40-50 grains to the weight. Wouldn't be as good as yours, I guess. This is also for a 38# bow.

Anyway just thought I'd update people on trying to substitute these woods.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 03:48:34 pm »
I think that being old growth helps the stability of the wood. No proof of that just a gut feeling. I was rather surprised to compare W Hem with Sitka spruce. I expected the Spruce to be better but the Hem has bigger numbers. Spruce is marginally lighter. I think spruce may be stronger in tensile strength but the Wood Database doesn't seem to list that. I believe that high Elastic Modulus is what we want for arrows. Could be wrong

Offline bow101

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 09:50:54 pm »
I think that being old growth helps the stability of the wood. No proof of that just a gut feeling. I was rather surprised to compare W Hem with Sitka spruce. I expected the Spruce to be better but the Hem has bigger numbers. Spruce is marginally lighter. I think spruce may be stronger in tensile strength but the Wood Database doesn't seem to list that. I believe that high Elastic Modulus is what we want for arrows. Could be wrong

Nice arrows DC.
I worked a lot with Old growth Douglas fir.  Its much stronger, are they any better than course grain, don't know  :-\.   I'm going to try a 145GR. that may help my shooting.  Picked up another half dozen Yellow cedar shafts the other day.   
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2015, 12:59:23 pm »
Doug Fir is a bit stronger in stiffness but it's quite a bit heavier. I was after lightness and Jackcrafty recommended Hemlock.