Author Topic: Recurve twisting  (Read 3283 times)

Offline DC

Recurve twisting
« on: November 04, 2015, 01:13:29 pm »
I'm working on an OS R/D and the limb is twisting and the string comes off at full draw. I need some advice on where to remove wood. I've been through all the posts about limb twisting but just have no confidence in my understanding them. And I think the recurve throws another curve(heh heh) into it. In the picture the limb twists so that the top moves to the left and the string falls off on the left. The string alignment is actually good at brace, I just couldn't hold the camera steady. Do I remove wood from the left side of the belly or the right?

Offline PatM

Re: Recurve twisting
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 01:18:40 pm »
The right.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 01:28:35 pm »
The left as I look at it. The limbs lean to the weak side, they appear to lean to the right from my chair.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 01:35:02 pm »
Dammm. I studied this for hours and I was sure it was going to be the left. The right side is the thinner side already. Do you know where I might find a good explanation? I have to understand this. I've got this thread http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,27206.msg364231.html#msg364231 in my bookmarks but to me just about everyone that comments says something different.

Oh crap PD posted while I was typing, now I even more confused. I'm going to hold off scraping for a bit.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 01:38:35 pm by DC »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 01:36:41 pm »
Left side.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 01:40:50 pm »
Left side
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline le0n

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 01:52:51 pm »
how do the limbs look in relation to each other when the bow is un-braced?

will the bow balance 'flat' on the recurved radii?

i mention this because i've had to heat correct at Bear FG recurve because this was happening. obviously the limbs where the correct thickness, however, there was a slight twist on the upper limb that was causing this to happen. the bow also looked fine when braced, partly due to the tension on the string holding it in place. once the bow was drawn enough, it was allowing the string to pop outward (to the left) from the string groove.

we heat treated with a damp microwaved towel until the un-braced bow balanced perfectly flat on the radii.

hadn't had a problem since.

you may want check for any twist on that limb before removing material.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 01:58:20 pm »
It looks fine unbraced and braced. I can see the limb twist as I draw it. It's just out a touch, the string doesn't come off every time. I haven't shot it yet, it might come off more often then.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 02:09:45 pm »
Be sure your string grooves are straight across from each other on both tips. Depth needs to be the same as well.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 02:24:46 pm »
I always have a hard time understanding this as well,, I think I get it here,, take off the left, and the tip will lean that way ,,,, keeping the string from coming off the left,,,,????

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 02:49:34 pm »
You said it looks fine braced and unbraced. Isn't the bow braced in this photo?
I personally haven't had the best luck with the whole remove wood to make it bend one way method.
On 99% of my recurves I use heat to get the curves lined up perfect.
I secure the bow really well sideways,and hang a weight or just use clamps on the very end up the recurve.
I try to do this heat correction a couple inches before the curve starts

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 03:10:02 pm »
Since I didn't have a lot of wood to spare I tried about 10 scrapes on the left side. Didn't seem to help. I've chickened out and I've heated the tip and moved it over. If that doesn't help I'll try removing wood again. I actually did this before I read Ryan's post. With the bow being R/D it's really hard to see both tips at the same time so I don't know. We'll see in a couple of days. Busy tomorrow. Thanks for all the input, I appreciate everyone's responses.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 03:45:13 pm »
yes I usually just heat it to line it up,, I am not good at the wood removal either,,

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 03:52:46 pm »
I'm going by his description of what happens on the draw, not how things appear in the picture. But if things are  heading in a particular direction then removing wood on that side will just encourage that.
 I prefer to just manually torque things while the bow is being drawn on the tree. Carefully.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 04:13:07 pm »
so if you wanted the tip to go to the right as you draw the bow,, taking wood off the right side would work,, would you take wood off of the tip and curved area,, or below that on the limb,,???