Author Topic: Small cracks in back of bow.  (Read 4829 times)

Offline Setarip

Re: Small cracks in back of bow.
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 09:08:58 pm »
Well bummer! Thanks for the info gents.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 09:37:11 pm »
I know exactly how you feel. It's BIG disappointment, when you think you did well. My second bow which I was really proud of raised a tiny splinter after a few weeks. I think pretty much everybody knows how that is. Kinda hard to believe something so small can mean it's time to hang up the bow, and think about your next one. But you'll do it. And it will be even better.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Setarip

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 10:31:54 pm »
Hey PlanB,
It totally is a disappointment, but I learned a ton making this one. I didn't even think about it or realize it earlier, but I did shoot the bow accidentally with an arrow that was WAY underweight-like 6.5gpp. Maybe that was the culprit? I think this may be my last Unbacked bow, and possibly my last red oak one too :P

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2015, 10:36:51 am »
I wouldn't give up on un-backed bows forever just because of that first one, Setarip. You almost had a superb example right out of the starting gate. Maybe the next one you'll want backed, just to have a success and something to shoot with. But I'll bet interest will tempt you back to something challenging to your strong woodworking skills.

Another thing is, you should really look carefully at your bow now to figure out why it happened. Not just chalk it up to an event, like a light arrow. Look at the wood carefully, thickness, width, grain, tiller, think about why that area overstressed and figure out what change would have prevented it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 10:42:31 am by PlanB »
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2015, 12:32:03 pm »
I wouldn't give up on un-backed bows forever just because of that first one, Setarip. You almost had a superb example right out of the starting gate. Maybe the next one you'll want backed, just to have a success and something to shoot with. But I'll bet interest will tempt you back to something challenging to your strong woodworking skills.

Another thing is, you should really look carefully at your bow now to figure out why it happened. Not just chalk it up to an event, like a light arrow. Look at the wood carefully, thickness, width, grain, tiller, think about why that area overstressed and figure out what change would have prevented it.
+1 There a millions of unbacked bows around, don't let one put you off

Offline Setarip

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2015, 09:48:17 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement! That is a terrific idea about checking it over and finding out what I can do better on the next one. I probably won't abandon the Unbacked bow, but will definitely make a backed one for bow 2 this week. I'm thinking of maybe something with a yellow heart (or other suitable hardwood) for the belly, and a maple or hickory backing. I don't have access to really large pieces of wood so I'm toying with the idea of finger splicing the wood together to achieve a longer bird to work with.

On a side note, this was my first tillering job. I think I may have over worked the bow as I tillered her out. I would work the bow 50-100 times at each inch of draw length! Maybe overkill?

Offline rps3

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2015, 09:07:40 am »
Did I miss where you said if the cracks where on the back or belly? Would mean different things depending on the answer.

Offline Setarip

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2015, 09:24:07 am »
There are two very small (1/4" long), and very, very shallow perpendicular cracks on the back. I shot a lot through it the other day after I noticed them and they didn't open up. I am thinking of patching them and going from there. It's not a huge deal, and ultimately I'm beginning the next bow this week hopefully.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2015, 11:34:17 am »
If I may suggest...put that bow aside. Don't destroy it or throw it away but set it aside for another day. Trying to make something from it now in your early days is more likely gonna be less productive than starting a new bow and utilizing what you learned from this bow to build another. Save this bow for a later date so you can use info you have gleaned from this process and others to come to do a thoughtful repair or give her the end she disserves.
  I have what I call the "Corner of Shame". When I get to a place in the building process that confounds me or my interest in the stave wanes for one reason or another the stave or potential bow goes in the corner. I have gone back to this "corner" on quite a few occasions and made good bows from what were one time "losers" just because I was more informed about the process, problems and problem solving than before. The more you know the better you'll be as a wood bow builder and the lessons you can learn from a "failure" or "corner" candidate will get you too success in a more confident, educated manner. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Setarip

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2015, 12:31:50 pm »
Hey Pat,
That's not a bad idea! As with nearly all things I get into, I thoroughly research whatever I am doing before I actually "break ground". As much as I enjoy shooting bows, I actually enjoy the research and development much more! I am a huge sucker for numbers and energy conversions so I get caught up into that stuff quite a bit on theses types of projects. I am setting this one aside while I work on an interesting idea that came to mind today. Have a great Sunday!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2015, 02:53:06 pm »
Good luck on your new project!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2015, 02:27:11 pm »
  Yeah, good luck!  BTW, Pay close attention to where they are, those cracks, like are they in about the same spot on each limb?  If so, then you learned something about tillering, and what looked perfect may not have been, you know?

If you want to save that bow, a linen back would do it, but it is a shame, because your oak was quite pretty.