Author Topic: Flipping the tips  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Red-Beard_the_Gael

Flipping the tips
« on: November 02, 2015, 02:49:18 pm »
I recently had to re-tiller a bow I made a couple years ago and got to thinking about flipping the tips a little. It's a hickory board bow, backed with rawhide and currently has no stain or finish on it. The question is, will it hurt the rawhide backing if I either steam and bend or use a dry heat and bend?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Flipping the tips
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 02:56:26 pm »
To get the wood hot enough to bend it will unfortunately either adversely affect the glue or rawhide or both.  What glue did you use? If hide glue you might be able to wet re rawhide enough to remove it partially, bend the tips and re-glue the rawhide. I doubt any other glue will work that way.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Red-Beard_the_Gael

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 03:43:41 pm »
I used titebond 2

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 04:18:22 pm »
TBIII will release at 150deg(F). I think if I was going to flip the tips I'd just remove the rawhide and add new after the heat work was done. It actually wouldn't be worth it for me. I'd just leave that bow as is and make another with flipped tips.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 04:42:33 pm »
ok maybe just take off the rawhide at the tips,, try the heat,, if it works good,, if you damage the rawhide below the tips then you can re do it,,,
just to be clear,, maybe a few inches of the rawhide could be removed,, then just leave it like that,, the tips really dont need rawhide anyway,, I think it is worth a try,,,

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 08:02:37 pm »
It actually wouldn't be worth it for me. I'd just leave that bow as is and make another with flipped tips.

That's how I'd feel about it.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 08:42:27 am »
It actually wouldn't be worth it for me. I'd just leave that bow as is and make another with flipped tips.

That's how I'd feel about it.

X2
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Ghost308

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 08:35:38 pm »
Tite Bond # will release at 150 ,,,,,,,,,,, thanks I didn't know that, I have a backing I need to remove  :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 09:49:32 pm »
That's how I found out. I had a hickory backing crack so I called the TB people and ask the tech dept and they told me that all the TB glues will release at 150 deg.