Author Topic: delaminating osage  (Read 7871 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: delaminating osage
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2015, 09:10:32 am »
I've done both clamp and no clamp, quite often they won't clamp back together, but prefer clamping if possible.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2015, 10:28:53 am »
Marc, I checked it this morning and yes it will close up with light clamping pressure

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2015, 11:38:31 am »
I ruined a whole batch of staves a few years back. I split them and left them in my garage bark on, bad idea. Every single one of them ruptured just like that. No wind did it to mine. Good old fashioned excess heat did..

Had a similar experience with a windfall of black locust I came into.  I peeled and spit, but left them too big overall and they had drying checks in several directions.   I saves a few, but lost a lot.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2015, 12:45:18 pm »
I have done this a few times. When I se this in a stave I try to work around it . But if the stave is a realy good straight grain stave I open the crack and get as much thin glue in it as possible. One of the bow ended up being IBO champion when put in the hands of James Hicks . This man is as hard on a selfbow as anybody. 30" draw jerks it back and holds a long time. But he can shoot. If it's a great looking stave I would try the glue.   Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!