Author Topic: delaminating osage  (Read 7872 times)

Offline Dances with squirrels

Re: delaminating osage
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 07:46:17 am »
I don't know Chris... those razor blades aren't real big. Look at it compared to the size of the stave, and look how deep it's inserted into the wood. The crack surely goes deeper than that blade will reach too. I bet it goes past the middle of the stave.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 01:00:07 am »
Glue it up, clamp it, forget about it. If it makes a bow, GREAT! If it doesn't.... Oh well. There's always more staves:)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Online Hamish

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 02:52:14 am »
 I'm a sucker for lost causes. I'd probably start floor tillering it, as doing so is going to start to give you a better idea of what you are dealing with in terms of depth of the shake/crack. When the stave becomes more flexible, you should be able to open that crack up a bit more  work glue deeper in the crack, then clamp.

Like one of the guys suggested you could instead work down to below the crack for a new back. If it becomes apparent that the stave is going to be too light for the bow you want, flatten the back and glue on a hickory backing.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 08:19:22 am »
I've never had any luck glueing side checks in ring porous woods.  They always seem to split in the early growth and the crumbly nature of that part of the ring just doesn't hold a glue line for me.  I have managed to glue side checks in ERC and other junipers though.  Josh

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 08:28:38 am »
Blackhawk-  that razor blade it's probably at least 3/4" deep, and the limb is about 1 3/8" wide. 

Non backed- no twist to speak of in the stave, although I did steam it too add reflex

DWS- the stave was cut in January '13 and dried slowly, I have also got a few other bows from this same tree with no  delamination problems

Brad Smith- I may have enough room under it too make a light bow, but was hoping for something with some poundage.

Thank you guys, but I think I will try to glue it and clamp it and keep it for myself. I have got a number of hours into it, so I might as well see what happens with it. I will keep you updated, although it may sit in the corner till I get my brothers bow finished.
Aaron

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 09:20:09 am »
Josh, sometimes I'm hard headed and just have to find out for myself.

So, since I have decided to glue, I have another question.  Unibond 800 or super glue?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2015, 09:29:30 am »
Lol! I'm much the same way.  Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for you.  I've only ever tried superglue and I've never used unibond at all.  Josh

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2015, 02:37:41 pm »
This isn't quite a delam, but it has a nice crack that runs out the fades and the sides of the limb. I used 'tite chairs' glue and clamped it up. Bow shoot great and has been put threw its paces.
66" long 65#@28" exercised out to 30"
Not to say that you will get as lucky as me but yah just never know sometimes.

Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2015, 04:09:32 pm »
if you go down past the crack and have enough for  light bow,, sinew would give you the weight you want,, I would try glue clamping first as suggested,, :)

keep in mind you would shorten the bow to sinew back it,, maybe to 56 inches for a 28 inch draw,, this would increase the weight as well,,
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 04:15:28 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2015, 05:13:51 pm »
Have you tried clamping it to see if it closes up under pressure?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2015, 05:21:10 pm »
Use thin viscosity superglue. It will wick itself down to the very essence of that crack. Far beyond what you can presently see. Fill it. Let it dry. Repeat until the crack is filled. If that seems to be taking too long, after several application of thin, it will be ok to use thicker viscosity superglue at that point to help fill the void. I've had good success with such repairs. I would NOT clamp it.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2015, 07:06:49 pm »
If Marc has  had success with clamping,, I would try that,,

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2015, 11:26:01 pm »
I've personally had success with warming it up with a heat gun before applying the glue. Not as hot as you would to bend it but good and warm. Then fill it with glue and clamp the heck out of it. It has worked several times for me and some friends. Even the few that broke didn't break where the repair was done.
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2015, 02:03:19 am »
x2
like Patrick said, I would try exactly like that
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2015, 08:13:09 am »
The reason I said I wouldn't clamp it is because I've fixed many such checks/cracks without doing it and they were permanent fixes. If it went back together with light to moderate pressure, clamping shut a razor thin check would be fine, but I certainly wouldn't concern myself with closing that gap if it seemed stubborn.