Author Topic: delaminating osage  (Read 7873 times)

Offline Aaron H

delaminating osage
« on: November 01, 2015, 12:41:20 pm »
Tell me the truth,  Do I burn it?   It's supposed to be a gift for my brother in law for Christmas.

Offline bushboy

Re: delaminating osage
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 01:22:07 pm »
Maybe clean up the crack with that razor,then dab some glue in with the razor and clamp her up.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Online paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 01:47:30 pm »
I had a whole batch of Osage do that to me. I would have a real hard time trusting it

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 01:52:27 pm »
I wouldn't trust it to give to someone else. Sorry, Aaron. that sucks.  :-\

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 02:41:37 pm »
Yea, pretty much what I was thinking. 

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 02:42:50 pm »
I think I will give super glue a try,  but I will have to find another piece to give to my brother in law.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 02:50:12 pm »
To me those look like what's called wind shakes and they happen while the tree is alive. I believe it is caused by the tree twisting and turning in the wind as it grows or the contortions it went through when it hit the ground.
 I wouldn't trust it either. If it is wind shake there are probably others hidden inside the stave.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 04:47:19 pm »
To me those look like what's called wind shakes and they happen while the tree is alive. I believe it is caused by the tree twisting and turning in the wind as it grows or the contortions it went through when it hit the ground.
 I wouldn't trust it either. If it is wind shake there are probably others hidden inside the stave.

I agree 100%.
Sorry bud looks like a nice piece of wood besides that.
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 08:45:38 pm »
That’s a tough break Falcon. It looks like you’ve spent several hours getting it shaped (I’m guessing it’s floor tillered) and reflexed; might as well see what it has left. Supper glue and a C-clamp – then bend it to at least draw weight, Be safe…use a tree if you have one.

Just curious, judging from the opposite limb, it looks like it is twisted in the first picture. Did you have to “untwist” the cracked limb before you reflexed it? I’ve had the same experience with Osage, using a heat gun to remove a tight 40 deg. twist in about 5 inches.

Good luck,
H

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 01:46:43 am »
Thats from impact more than likely.  I have had a fair amount of wind shakes and all were darker colored from exposure.  Only if I pulled it at least one inch further back than designed at least ten times would I begine to trust it. 100 times and id be comfortable with it as my own.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 07:32:14 am »
Yep, wind shakes can be darker colored if they've been there a while.

Drying checks can occur on the sides of a stave. I've seen what you've shown in your pictures develop from drying osage staves too fast, and especially if drying them with the bark and sapwood still on.

In one instance, I'm confident they weren't wind shakes because a friend and I cut a tree and divied up the staves, the ones I brought home and seasoned slowly were fine. The ones he took home ALL developed side checks. Turns out he left the bark and sapwood on and put them in his brand new wood shop, which he built upstairs above his garage. The garage unfortunately, he keeps heated with a wood burner directly underneith. It's like a kiln up there.

He gave me the remaining staves, hoping I could do something with them, which I did. I burned them... in MY woodburner   :'(

Other than those checks, they were some of the nicest osage staves I've ever seen. Very disappointing.

How was your stave cared for? And at what point in construction did they appear?
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 08:02:48 am »
I ruined a whole batch of staves a few years back. I split them and left them in my garage bark on, bad idea. Every single one of them ruptured just like that. No wind did it to mine. Good old fashioned excess heat did. I never peel the bark, but always carry them to my basement where the temp and humidity favors perfect stave seasoning. I got lazy and ruined 15-20 staves.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 08:36:57 am »
Not all osage is created equal, some looks good but is substandard lousy wood, you just found such a piece. I have encountered the same a bunch of times.

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 09:15:57 am »
How wide is it there? Before i did anything else with it Id narrow it at that crack untill its gone...if you still have almost an inch of width then theres still a bow in it...you might have to forgo the stiff handle and make it a bendy handle bow

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 02:46:19 pm »
Blackhawk,, I like that idea alot,,seems like a nice piece of wood,,it also seems like there may be enough wood to make a bow beneath the crack,, for sure a sinew backed bow,,, :)