Author Topic: spine and performance  (Read 2301 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
spine and performance
« on: November 03, 2015, 11:56:45 am »
Hi All,

I just tested a pair of yew short bows, cut from the same stave and with 1" difference in distance ntn, one rated at about 23#, the other at about 33#, using the same three hazel arrows.  The spine on the arrows suits the lighter bow.  The two bows only had about a 5 yard difference in range despite having a 30% difference in power, would the arrow spine being too flexible for the heavier bow account for at least some of the relatively poor performance of that bow - I was expecting about a 20 yard difference in range between the two bows,or is that unreasonable? 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: spine and performance
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 12:45:33 pm »
The arrow that is more properly spined for the bow will shoot better. The bow only pushes the arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 01:27:53 pm »
Thanks Pat,  think next weekend will be spent fletching up a batch of new arrows

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 06:39:04 pm »
believe it or not ..... accuracy comes from the arrow.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 05:02:47 am »
My shooting doesn't require perfect arrows - can't hit a barn door at 30 paces - I am getting hooked on making equipment though. The arrows in question are grown hazel shoots, but they are VERY bendy, so I wondered, if they flex too much as they are accelerated will that bending absorb some of the energy from the bow and result in a reduced distance achieved when flight shooting?

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 07:18:07 am »
Yes, the energy to bend the arrow has to come out of the bows stored up energy so the increased wobble would decrease the total amount of energy in the arrow and thus the distance it traveled. But I do not know how much effect this would have on distance.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 03:53:47 pm »
My shooting doesn't require perfect arrows - can't hit a barn door at 30 paces - I am getting hooked on making equipment though.

You sound like a light version of me.  I have all but completely quit shooting bows, I just don't enjoy it much.  Still making gear, though!  I guess that makes me a sculptor carving bendable wooden free standing statues with a string attached!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.