Author Topic: The joy of giving  (Read 1838 times)

JacksonCash

The joy of giving
« on: October 31, 2015, 01:55:35 pm »
Something I thought about while looking for materials to make Christmas presents for some folks:
Everything I've made on my lathe, that has turned out, has been given away. I've made a few cutting boards this year, also given away. Years ago I made a small trove of beaded necklaces, which were given away. I have very few items that I have made for myself. It's the same with my wife, she crochets like a woman possessed, and we've got just a single blanket out of all the stuff she's made.

I wonder if it has to do with getting rewarding feelings from the process, and that makes it easier to not have the thing?

I would say the only exception to this is the bows I've made. I'm not willing to give them away, but that's mostly because I'm terrified of them breaking and hurting someone else. After a few more maybe that will change...

Anyone else feel this way?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: The joy of giving
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 02:41:56 pm »
I think with bows, it really needs to be the right person... you'll know when it's time! :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JEB

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 03:17:16 pm »
Since getting above 65 I have been trying to live by the, "help  one stranger a day" motto.  I was blessed to have a father involved in archery. Owning an archery shop in the 50's and 60's, shooting for Bear Archery, being friends with Fred Bear winning or placing in over 300 archery tournaments.  Just to give you an idea just how much archery was part of my life.  With that being written when dad died I got what was left of the archery supplies from the store.  I have given over half of it away to the unsuspecting.  Gives me that selfish smile that I probably don't deserve.  I do look up after broadheads are sent out or a bow is given away and hope my dad approves.

Yea, I kind of know the feeling.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 08:29:23 am »
I give a lot of stuff away that I accumulated over the years, time to thin the herd so to speak.

I read that you get an endorphin rush just like a runners high when you do nice things for people, I like the feeling. I was a runner for 20+ years so I know the high.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 10:27:04 am »
Since getting above 65 I have been trying to live by the, "help  one stranger a day" motto.    I have given over half of it away to the unsuspecting.  Gives me that selfish smile that I probably don't deserve.   and hope my dad approves.

Yea, I kind of know the feeling.

I know for a fact that your generosity is heart felt and there is nothing more appealing to me than your boyish Leatherneck smile.
It's like a star on top of the tree. I hope you feel your dad's arm upon your
shoulders often.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 11:57:14 am »
I used to sell the slings and leather work I made and one day a fellow started griping about the colors he had chosen.  Since that day I have traded some, but decided that giving is the best way to go.  Its hard for someone to snivel about a gift and the rewards are worth more than the monetary gain.  Tonight I am going to the Wyoming Disabled Hunters banquet and will donate a custom gun sling, a bow, a hunting knife kit, a back pack shovel, and a lamp with a bull elk figure and special shade.  I have to admit it is a selfish thing on my part because it makes me feel good!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 02:35:33 pm »
Seeing someone else happy is just about like being happy yourself. I love talking to people and learning things, I also like showing people the bows I make and I've tried to get some of my friends interested in archery, that reminds me, I've got an elm stave with one of their names on it :)
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 02:37:46 pm »
Not meaning to be a downer on this subject in a way.
I have always made gifts for friends and family.
Any child that has ever entered my home has left with
their choice of either a handful of small points or a
slab or two of banded agate. Some of the earlier kids
coming with their parents or other family to view and
discuss my collections and pottery making/flint knapping
are now actually employed in the Humanities and Archaeological fields.
As a matter of fact I am waiting for Neal and his son to come for a visit
as I type. (school project) But what I wanted to say is I have found that
 I give to almost anyone that takes interest and or asks if they can buy
or have things I wouldn't in the past thought about giving.
Why-- I guess I have been blessed to have ample to share in what I call
the near dead years. Is some of it the awareness of mortality. Yes I think so.
Also it's it as others have said-- most of us have had years to accumulate
and NOW have excess to distribute.
I don't have a great smile like Jon but I do get a satisfaction from giving.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 09:20:18 am »
I wanted to post Elliot and his's dads photo, I am hoping Elliot
will check it out on the site here. I also hope he joins up.
We had a good time and Elliot's dad really got it.
He may be hooked. I hope Elliot post some photos
of his school project too.
Zuma

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 09:30:22 am »
Smile, Zuma that wasn't a smile you saw at Flintridge  that was a grimace from a gas attack.  At least that's what my wife tells me.!!  lol

I just found out one has to be careful when he tries to give away something he doesn't have. A hunter on another site wanted some glue in inserts for aluminum arrows.  I just knew I had them, went to the basement and saw a plastic draw full then wrote the guy for his address.  When I went back for them to mail out he asked for 2016 inserts and without my glasses I thought I had a drawer full but they turned out to be for 2018's.

So to fulfill my promise I removed some 2016 inserts from my dads old hunting arrows and sent them off.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 08:35:35 pm »
Humm Jon, you said a hunter. I'm guessing female. >:D
Bad Zuma bad

Offline JEB

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 08:52:53 pm »
Bow hunte,r Zuma. He wanted inserts that glued inside of aluminum arrows.

Next year my wife will be retired and we will be doing some traveling.  Going to Letchworth with the travel trailer and then down to Flintridge.  She has heard of all these knappers that I speak of so I guess I will intro her to them. She is good friends with Mike Cook.  They gang up on me when they get together.  You need to bring some of that fine pottery with you  so I can buy her a piece or two!!!

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 09:02:27 pm »
One of my greatest motivations for knapping is the fact that I can give nice unique gifts  at any time, not just Christmas. The smiles and joy I see in people, especially the kids, is worth all the effort and more. When people watch me knapp, I usually give most of what I make to them. What better thing is there to do with them? My problem is that I have to make a special effort to keep some of my best.

As a lot, knappers are generous people. Two other knappers were at my house today, and we sharing techniques and rocks and points. What else can we do and get that level of "brotherhood"?

WA