Author Topic: Is ash wood good for carving?  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Patches

Is ash wood good for carving?
« on: October 29, 2015, 09:06:49 pm »
A friend of mine logged his property. Several large ash trees were cut. There are no pieces large enough for a bow or billets, but I can get several large chunks from what remains. How is ash to carve?  Is it worth the effort to cut the chunks?

Thanks for the help and information.

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Zuma

Re: Is ash wood good for carving?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 09:31:47 pm »
Patches,
Ash is what they used to, and I am pretty sure they still do
make some baseball bats from. In a fire it burns hotter than oak
because of it's density.
That being said I have carved Dade County pine where the saw
blade would create sparks. lol
I guess it depends on your ability and how sharp your tools are.
Good luck. I have a basement full of it.
Let us know how you fair.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 03:54:47 pm »
Neal I know basswood is really good for carving. Maybe you can find some of that?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Patches

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 07:39:07 pm »
PD, there was no bass wood on the farm that they logged.  I am hoping to find uses for some of the wood that is left after the loggers pulled out. I am not a carver, but if the ash is usable I am going to cut some chunks. I am going to get some for flint knife handles. So far I cut some beautiful walnut, some hickory, and some nice chinkapin oak burls for knife handles. There is some nice grained red oak I am going to get this weekend. I am a wood hoarder so I just can't stand to see it lay on the ground!  ;)

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 07:35:45 pm »
That would make great knife handles. If there is a lot bowl sized they can
be turned. You will need a cool moist place to air dry it.
Well, just like most any wood. Or smaller pieces can be purged in the microwave.
I hoard but try to use it up to. I actually bought a chain saw and trailer out in CA
one time to slab a redwood into 3" planks to bring back to VA.
Zuma
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 07:39:47 pm by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.