Author Topic: Grayson Arhery collection #2  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Grayson Arhery collection #2
« on: October 27, 2015, 08:52:46 am »
Here are a couple bows from the Grayson collection at the University of Missouri. The collection is vast and the staff welcomes visitors to their museum.

Included: Hinge bow with antler risers; Andaman bow-very wide, very thin, and very small diameter handle; very short 3 piece Aleut bow, made with bone, attached with 4 metal rivets and wrapped; various wood and bamboo quivers.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 08:16:15 pm by Hrothgar »
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline 1442

Re: Grayson Arhery collection #2
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 09:41:32 am »
Thanks for posting this.
Looks like a place I would love to visit some day.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 11:05:38 am »
I live an hour from there and go down that way all the time and never new about that. Looks like I'll have another stop to make the next time I go down that way. Thanks for sharing.

Kyle

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 12:53:40 pm »
Are they all original or are there some reproductions? That Andaman bow looks brand new.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 05:42:56 pm »
DC nearly all the bows are originals, from all over the world. However our guide pointed out a  couple replica bows which Grayson had made himself. There was also a bow which had been owned by one of the Thompson brothers.

The Andaman bow is in very good shape, this particular bow seems very short--maybe 54"--compared to what I've seen in pictures of those used by the islanders.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 06:16:34 pm »
Thanks for posting this and the one in Arrows.  I also live close by and have never visited; I wasn't sure how open to the public it was.  This will definitely be on my short list of things to do in Columbia.

Maybe we need to have a Missouri PA field trip...

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 07:02:11 pm »
Timbo, count me in, I only scratched the surface in an hour and a half.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 08:32:24 am »
I'd like to see that one day.  Thanks for sharing that.
1’—>1’

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 08:15:03 pm »
Here are a couple more bows from the Grayson collection that were a little unusual. The first picture is from a native north American tribe, I either neglected to check the label or I forgot the specifics. What makes it interesting is that the entire bow is wrapped in birch bark.

The second and third pictures are of a split bamboo self bow, very thick and with very widely spaced nodes. Nothing fancy, about five feet long, the outside/node side is the back, the inside of the stalk/stave is the belly.

Correction: wrapped bow is Egyptian, Its been hard to concentrate on anything but baseball here lately. Thanks Pat.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 07:58:00 am by Hrothgar »

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 08:22:08 pm »
The birch wrapped bow is Egyptian.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 10:44:32 pm »
That's what I was thinking too. Egyptian angular bow. Birch bark wrap is not uncommon.
 Cool pics though Thanks for posting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 11:21:55 pm »
That crossbow in the one shot looks like the Montagnard crossbow my uncle gifted my father after he returned from Vietnam. I made a string and trigger for it but haven't been able to get it strung yet. It appears to be a two man job. The prod is some kind of Asian rosewood and it has an insane amount of tension. The body looks like it may have been recycled from a shipping crate, not very impressive looking. I've read the draw weight on those crossbows were often in the 150-180# range. I saw a bamboo quiver full of the bamboo bolts in one pic also, that look identical to the ones that came with the gift from my uncle.

I'll be checking that collection out next time I travel out that way for work. Thanks for posting.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 09:17:47 am »
Since im biased to lever bows i love that andaman...sweet profile....

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 02:35:48 pm »
I would love to check out this collection one day. It used to be here in Oregon, right in Bryce's neck of the woods.

Thanks for sharing!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso