Author Topic: Salvagable? Sinew/superglue patch on this crack?  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Sidmand

Salvagable? Sinew/superglue patch on this crack?
« on: November 07, 2015, 03:51:16 pm »
I was just about there, 40#@27" when I heard the crackle.  Looks like this Ipe, even with a cable backing, is starting to crack on the side.  The crack is maybe an inch and a half long, and it's starting to lift a splinter on the back under the brown paper backing.  Do you guys think this one is a candidate for filling with superglue and wrapping with artificial sinew? 

"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Salvagable? Sinew/superglue patch on this crack?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 04:01:17 pm »
looks like the bow is bending too much at that part of the limb,, I have not worked with IPE so dont have advise on patching it

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 04:21:37 pm »
here are a few more pics, I have it drawn to 24" in that pic, I didn't want to draw it further without a patch if it's patchable.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 04:39:33 pm »
Looks like its bending wayyyy too much by the handles especially on right side of pic.  Is that where the crack is?
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 05:02:55 pm »
What happens if you put bridges where I put the arrows? I know that's not answering your question but if that's where the crack is some bridges might take some tension off the back.

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 05:05:55 pm »
one more pic, I saw the same thing, looked real hingy out of the handle, but when I draw a circle on it, it looks a lot better.  It does bend through the handle.  I think the shadows are playing tricks on the view of it.

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 05:08:12 pm »
What happens if you put bridges where I put the arrows? I know that's not answering your question but if that's where the crack is some bridges might take some tension off the back.

I can try it.  I was wondering if putting more bridges on there to raise the cable would help some.  The cable is right along the back right there.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 06:12:34 pm »
I think that if the cable is right on the wood it's not doing much. But take that with a grain of salt. I've never even seen a cable bow let alone made one.