Author Topic: First bow.  (Read 5509 times)

Offline Setarip

First bow.
« on: October 29, 2015, 03:34:54 pm »
Hello,
My name is Josh, and I am new here! I wanted to share my first all wood bow. I made it from a red oak board from Lowes, with bubinga for the riser and limb tips. Overall length is 71" ntn, 2" wide at the fades to 1/2" at the tips. The bow weighs in at 20 ounces. I made the string with 2mm dyneema lashing line, with a fixed bridle kite line splice. Each loop is served with 0.21mm dyneema. The line is 850 lb breaking strength.

The bow came out a little light, just above 34#@28" (40+#@ my draw length of 31"). I am not drawing this bow past 28" for safety reasons and because I really don't want to blow this one up. The finish is Danish oil, carnauba wax, and sanded all the way up to 1200 grit. The grip is 1.5mm black leather and artificial sinew stitching.

I do have a chronograph, but I have not had the opportunity to clock it yet. At around 24" draw with a 380 grain arrow it did push 133 fps. I did that test before I was comfortable drawing it to 28". It does actually fire decently fast for a bow with its poundage. The bow stores approximately 31 ft-lbs when plotting the FD curve.

Later on when I get a moment I'll post a better full draw picture. Thanks for looking!

Offline Setarip

Re: First bow.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 03:37:00 pm »
More pictures!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 04:01:18 pm »
Hello and welcome. You must have a background in wood working, looks like great craftsmanship.
Full draw shot please

Offline Setarip

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 04:20:09 pm »
Full draw!

Thanks Wizard! I am a typical diyer. I took two wood working classes in high school 12 years ago as well. I am slowly building up my own workshop. I am looking forward to my next bow!

Offline GB

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 04:26:31 pm »
Good looking first bow! 
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 04:46:00 pm »
Thats a really great job for a first bow. Even tiller, lovely and unusual work around the handle/fade area, and a really good looking handle wrap. If I had to make any other comment, I was wondering if you have your nocking point a little low on the string? Or maybe its a visual effect in your drawn picture? I havent made a bow for a while, but I would hope it would be as good as that one :)
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline DavidV

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 05:35:13 pm »
You new guys are making me feel inadequate. Great first bow.
Springfield, MO

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 05:56:31 pm »
Very nice............looks like a fine quarter sawn board.  And your handle is a nice touch.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 06:26:58 pm »
Nice work!  ;D
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 06:42:22 pm »
Nice job. I wouldn't be scared to draw that bow another inch. Now, if it breaks? Don't blame me, it was bound to happen anyway. There really is no reason you cant take another inch from it. Its long, wide, light, built right and decent grained.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 07:05:09 pm »
It's obvious this is not your first woodworking project.  Very nicely done indeed for a first bow.  Congrats.  Nice to have you join the gang here.  Looking forward to seeing your second bow.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 07:11:51 pm »
Welcome and great first bow! Board bows can be difficult to make look beautiful, but that obviously was not a problem for you. All around great work. I especially like your handle to limb transition. Nice photography too!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Setarip

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 07:37:38 pm »
Wow! Thanks for the compliments guys! It was a TON of fun to make. I'm thinking about a mollegabet for my second bow...maybe a hybrid recurve/mollegabet. Too many possibilities it seems! I'm also going to try doing it as a laminate, maybe maple backed (?)...

@Pearl, I did tiller her out to 30", but am quite chicken to draw it in fear of a detonation  :P

I will admit I spent the last few weeks searching through the forums at a lot of the bows you all have made...I have not seen one horrible bow on this site! It really is a fun place to share ideas and inspiration!

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 07:40:45 pm »
Nice work there Josh!!! ;)

Offline dirthas

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 08:09:51 pm »
That is a ridiculously nice first bow, good job!