Author Topic: Dr. Grayson collection  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Dr. Grayson collection
« on: October 26, 2015, 08:27:58 am »
     Last week I was fortunate enough to be able to view much of the Grayson collection at the University of Missouri, Columbia. The anthropology department was quite accommodating and willing to discuss the vast and varied collection.
     Below are a few images of arrows and spear shafts. One in particular caught my attention, an engraved antler (?) tip on an Asian arrow.

" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline gifford

Re: Dr. Grayson collection
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 11:12:20 am »
The Grayson collection is truly a treasure, we can nit-pick the organization and display of the various bows and arrows however, the staff is patient and well informed with the visitors. I spent a very enjoyable afternoon there and highly recommend it as well worth the time and effort to get there. Kudos to Old Mizzou for finding a home for this wonderful collection.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 12:38:52 pm »
I keep telling myself that I need to take the time to stop by and look their collection each time I'm in Columbia, but I still haven't done it.  I have heard it is really a fantastic collection.

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 02:54:43 pm »
I have seen some of the collection but not like that.  It was too late in the day. I need to plan a trip with out the wife. More funner ::)
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 11:13:23 pm »
I wrote to them regarding one of the pieces in the collection that I was dead set on reproducing.  Once I established my bona fides with photos of bows I had already reproduced from other collections, the curator was surprisingly cooperative with answering questions and providing detail pictures.  I figured they have enough work on their desks, so when I asked for specifics or detail photos not already available, I kept it to a bare minimum.  Wonderfully gracious people, and I made sure to send them a personalized thank you letter to the office afterward, not just an email note of heythanksbye!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline neuse

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 06:56:32 am »
Pretty amazing collection.

How would they have carved that antler point, with antler being so hard?

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 09:00:11 am »
Nuese, some kind of scrimshaw I would guess. Here are a couple more pix, including quivers.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.