Author Topic: First time Arrow assembly questions  (Read 6803 times)

Offline bow101

Re: First time Arrow assembly questions
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 04:25:12 pm »
My arrows are bought from a Professional arrow builder. ! stiff side of the arrow against the bow..Yep.  proper spine.yep.
I have talked with others that have been shooting longer than me and been around the game for the last 20 years.
My shooting is not bad its quite good considering but something is amiss and its not the bow or my form.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline le0n

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 06:30:07 pm »
Arrows, on the other hand, take lots of work to get them right. Jumping ship and heading to the "carbon" side won't teach you anything about making or using arrows.

actually, in this case, it might 'teach' in terms of him knowing that all the variables of his shooting style are being done correctly.

if his grouping improves drastically, then it will prove that the wood arrows are not matched to his bow.

fire off three of the synthetic arrows followed up with a wooden one. study outcome.

perform rounds like this with each wooden arrow in your set.

the ones that have the closest flight to the synthetics are the ones you can possibly tune and experiment with. the others may end up being wall art; or matched to a different bow at a later date.

Offline bow101

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 06:32:46 pm »
Arrows, on the other hand, take lots of work to get them right. Jumping ship and heading to the "carbon" side won't teach you anything about making or using arrows.

actually, in this case, it might 'teach' in terms of him knowing that all the variables of his shooting style are being done correctly.

if his grouping improves drastically, then it will prove that the wood arrows are not matched to his bow.

fire off three of the synthetic arrows followed up with a wooden one. study outcome.

perform rounds like this with each wooden arrow in your set.

the ones that have the closest flight to the synthetics are the ones you can possibly tune and experiment with. the others may end up being wall art.

Are you watching........................... >:D  did not think so..

...out of 10 arrows I may get 4 that fly ok the rest are duds.   Fred Bear and many others like howard Hill would do the same.  Shoot about 20 arrows the ones that do not make the cut get tossed in the burn pile.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 06:36:50 pm by bow101 »

Offline le0n

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 06:34:20 pm »
^^ i can if you youtube ;)

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 06:46:39 pm »
Man this is putting me off even starting putting my Arrow parts together!  if the pros struggle to get it right then I'm doomed! :o
Lol
To be fair though I've had some really great arrows just off guys selling them on eBay! (nothing like the kind that people on here make though!)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2015, 06:58:05 pm »
I've been tempted to buy a couple of carbon arrows just to find out if it's me or the arrows. I know I've had a few bum arrows but I tried keeping track of them. I numbered them and watched for the same arrow doing weird things. Sometimes it was the same arrow flying poorly but most of the time the poor shots were different arrows. That points at one thing-me. I have a feeling that I would spray carbon arrows all over the back yard. I've settled on one bow to use 90% of the time to eliminate that. I think I'm plucking, short drawing, waving my bow arm around and whatever else I can do wrong. If you do buy carbon make sure the spine is perfect for the bow you're going to use(you knew that). Maybe they'll let you test shoot some. Maybe borrow some from someone at the range.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 07:01:15 pm by DC »

Offline le0n

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2015, 08:04:08 pm »
My arrows are bought from a Professional arrow builder. !

...out of 10 arrows I may get 4 that fly ok the rest are duds.

i don't mean to offend, but that success ratio does not sound anywhere close to Professional.

i'm going to side with PatB on this. i bet you'll get a better results vs. the ones you've purchased.

Man this is putting me off even starting putting my Arrow parts together!  if the pros struggle to get it right then I'm doomed! :o
Lol
To be fair though I've had some really great arrows just off guys selling them on eBay! (nothing like the kind that people on here make though!)

do not be discouraged so quickly.

stick to the fundamentals and you'll be ok.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 08:09:17 pm by le0n »

Offline bow101

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 10:21:30 pm »
My arrows are bought from a Professional arrow builder. !

Ooooppsss...... I buy my shafts from a Professional arrow builder.   Maybe my fletching skills are not  Post I wrote;the best but some look bad and yet fly good.  :)   At any rate there is absolutely no argument that a wood shafts grain consistency is not uniform.  :D   I will still build wood arrows just have to toss out the bad ones or make Flu-Flu's out of them.  ;D

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:49:39 pm by bow101 »

Offline bow101

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2015, 10:50:27 pm »
I've been tempted to buy a couple of carbon arrows just to find out if it's me or the arrows. I know I've had a few bum arrows but I tried keeping track of them. I numbered them and watched for the same arrow doing weird things. Sometimes it was the same arrow flying poorly but most of the time the poor shots were different arrows. That points at one thing-me. I have a feeling that I would spray carbon arrows all over the back yard. I've settled on one bow to use 90% of the time to eliminate that. I think I'm plucking, short drawing, waving my bow arm around and whatever else I can do wrong. If you do buy carbon make sure the spine is perfect for the bow you're going to use(you knew that). Maybe they'll let you test shoot some. Maybe borrow some from someone at the range.

For sure I'll use the Club arrows before I purchase.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2015, 10:13:52 am »
My experience is that the arrows I make work sometimes, and sometimes not. If I make them Willy-Nilly they end up just that. If I take the time to select the right spine for the poundage I shoot I end up fine. Nothing comes easy that's worth it.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline bow101

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2015, 03:20:48 pm »
My experience is that the arrows I make work sometimes, and sometimes not. If I make them Willy-Nilly they end up just that. If I take the time to select the right spine for the poundage I shoot I end up fine. Nothing comes easy that's worth it.

I hear you , read this post by Eric maybe it will put a perspective on using natural shafts.   
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,54679.0.html

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2015, 11:32:56 pm »
If you bought shafting from a reliable dealer they should all fly well unless you did something wrong while building then, how they are set up or possibly your draw/release/form. When I built cedar arrows I would buy a dozen shafts in a spine group about 10# under the desired bow draw weight. I used spray paint or acrylic paint for crown dips and cresting and water based poly to seal. I'd fletch with Duco cement put field points on and plastic nocks and go shoot. They all shot well, some better than others. All I did was assemble the parts, pretty mindlessly. Was it blind luck? I don't think so. Could commercial shafting today be that much worse than back in the early 1990s?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sieddy

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2015, 05:24:18 am »
Thanks good to know Pat- I was hoping it was going to be a pretty straightforward process with the ready made parts. Sorry if I'm being dense but just so I'm clear- if I cut my shafts shorter I will end up with arrows spined to a higher drawweight? So as my shafts are 32" 50/55 spine, if I cut them down to 29" they should then be spined around 65/70 or higher? If this is the case I'll leave them full length so I can shoot the arrows from my 52# bow. Thanks again!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2015, 05:49:20 am »
Thanks Del.
Is it ok to have a 28" 11/32 arrows for a 50/55# bow?
Yeah if the shafts are the right spine.
I think there is a lot of overthink with arrows, the important thing is they are the all same. At 3D shoots I see some guys with a quiver full of miss matched arrows in different lengths!
I often have two sets, one set my full draw plus about 3/4" (28" to base of point) and the other set made from the first ones that break off a point that are just on my draw length (about 27"). I don't mix 'em up.
I don't much like making arrows so I tend to adjust the bow to suit the arrow! A small change in brace height, or a 1/16 off the arrow pass makes quite a difference.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline sieddy

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2015, 06:04:39 am »
Thanks Del I'll have a play around with them and see how I get on. It's an awful lot of fuss for a bunch of sticks that are likely to get broke and lost within a few months! I just want to get em so I can get a decent performance out of my bow.  :)