Author Topic: Lousy shooting cane arrow  (Read 2960 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Lousy shooting cane arrow
« on: October 29, 2015, 03:15:49 pm »
My cane arrows almost always are good shooters, some better than others. I made 4 lately, one flies like a dart, two are good, one was the worst shooting arrow I ever made, it hit 18" to the left and really clanked coming out of the bow. Yesterday I tried cock feather in but it didn't make it shoot much better. Today I cut the self nock off and cut a new nock, one feather around from what had been the cock feather. Now this former terrible shooter flies like a dart.

I have another bad shooter or two I need to try this on.

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Lousy shooting cane arrow
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 05:33:08 pm »
Ever tried tuning your arrows the bare "nock" method?  ::) :) ;) 
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

riverrat

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 06:29:27 pm »
it might be the nock wasnt centered good.had a simular problem with a shoot shaft arrow recently. turned out that the nock wasnt centered good.it kept kicking up as i shot it. it would level out in flight but it would kick up soon as it left the bow. so i cut off the nock and made a new one. it fixed it as well.Tony

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 06:32:34 pm »
Yea Tony, there are so many variables in making self arrows especially with cane.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline 1442

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 08:17:43 pm »
Good info.
It's funny how that works to tame a wild arrow. I've done that in the past with good results, and have a few arrows set aside that need the treatment right now.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 11:07:17 pm »
I always find the stiff side before I cut the nock.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 11:20:57 pm »
Me too, Eddie. That's the first thing Art taught me about making cane and sourwood shoot arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 01:53:31 pm »
I flex and find the stiff side, if you don't, there's a chance your arrow will fly like a crippled duck.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 08:43:57 am »
I put several of my cane shafts on my spine tester and was surprised to find the spine was consistent side to side, no stiff side. I don't think I tested the arrow in question.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 01:59:23 pm »
I noticed that with my bamboo arrows. I'm just starting to play with split shafts but they appear to be stiffer with the rings at 90 degrees to the bow.

Offline 1442

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 11:47:23 am »
My cane arrow shafts don't seem to have a stiff side either. I give up trying to find the stiff side shortly after I started making arrows because I just couldn't determine which side was stiffer.
I'm gonna try it again just in case I was missing something.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 12:31:38 pm »
Generally the stiff side will be with the node against the bow. One side or the other will be the stiff side.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 08:45:07 am »
Another thing; The cane I use is not the best, sometimes the small ends have a pronounced trough that runs a few inches up from the node. I have to orientate the fletching to keep a feather out of this trough.

I should make my cane selection more carefully to avoid this type of cane but it is the norm where I cut my stuff.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 11:33:03 am »
Eric, it is probably switch cane(A. tecta). Switch cane has a definite sulcus(that indentation). If you cut your nock just above the node you can eliminate that problem.