Author Topic: First time Arrow assembly questions  (Read 6801 times)

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
First time Arrow assembly questions
« on: October 28, 2015, 03:41:37 am »
Hello guys I am about to make my first set of arrows (from premade components this time) and I have a couple of questions.
Firstly about Arrow length; I like 28" arrows but I have been using 5/16 40/45 spine shafts. My arrows will be 11/32 50/55 spine so do I need to make them longer than 28"? Secondly am I right in thinking that I should put the finish (Danish oil and Beeswax) on before the fletching? (can I glue the feathers on over the finish?)
Finally is super glue any good for the Fletching? (I don't want to have to buy expensive glue from an archery supplier if there is a more common option.)
Thanks in advance
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: First time Arrow assembly questions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 06:10:21 am »
I always make my arrows to draw length so that the bow can't be over drawn. But if you are increasing the spine you may want them longer...
You can always cut 'em down, but it's hard to make 'em longer ;)
I always fletch before finishing... mind I don't do much in the way of finish, maybe one wipe of acrylic varnish or just a wax polish.
De-grease your points so they stick solidly.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline sieddy

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 08:02:09 am »
Thanks Del.
Is it ok to have a 28" 11/32 arrows for a 50/55# bow?
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 09:02:07 am »
You can have whatever length arrows you want. I shoot 30" arrows for my 26" draw.
 Some finishes won't allow the fletch glue to stick to the shaft. Oils and waxes are probably some. I do use Tru-Oil on some arrows and fletch after applying it but I also tie fletches fore and aft.
 Lots of folks use super glue for fletching. I'd do some experimenting first though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 10:49:19 am »
Arrow length is more about spine and draw length. The longer the arrow the lower the spine so if you know your bow likes say 40-45 but your shafts are 50-55 then you can leave them long and effectively lower the spine (there's a rough formula but darned if I've memorized it, lol). Also if you have a long draw length that can be important, for me and my Manchu bow using a thumb ring I have a draw around 32-33", which is a real pain because I have to order 35" arrows and those are kinda hard to find, lol.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 12:48:17 pm »
 I tried thin CA by tying the fletch on and then running a "bead" of CA down the length. Too many times the CA would wick up into the fletch and make it hard like a rock. It would break after a few shots. I now use thick CA. I use a jig and put a bead of thick CA on the fletch, push it in place and wait 30 sec and it's done. Tie the front and back with thread or something.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 01:08:18 pm »
Urufu , 5# per inch. Longer for less spine, shorter for more spine. This is for a 28" arrow with a 125gr point. For each 25grs of tip weight over 125gr subtract 5# of spine and each 25gr under 125 add 5#.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 01:35:19 pm »
 I like to stain then spray with poloy. I try on my feathers mostly.  When I made dowl arrows 100's I put feathers with delco you'll never have one come off.

I've also used super glue because thats what I had. It also works great I think. Ouick drying where deco takes 5 or 10 mins'.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline sieddy

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 01:45:47 pm »
Thanks fellas I knew I could count on the PA team! :)

Offline sieddy

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 01:50:35 pm »
Urfu that is on heck of a draw length you got there!  :)

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 02:08:32 pm »
Urfu that is on heck of a draw length you got there!  :)

Well, I'm more like 28"-29" on a western style bow using three finger mediterranean release, but using a thumb ring increases your draw some and with Manchu archery your anchor is not chin or cheek, it's more like ear, lol.

Offline sieddy

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 03:02:26 pm »
I'd be worried the string would take my ear off!  :o

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 03:12:53 pm »
Well, shooting thumb ring the arrow is on the opposite side of the bow, so when you draw you can't really anchor right against the your face, with that kind of draw it's "floating" out away from you a little.

Offline bow101

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 03:39:22 pm »
Hello guys I am about to make my first set of arrows (from premade components this time) and I have a couple of questions.
Firstly about Arrow length; I like 28" arrows but I have been using 5/16 40/45 spine shafts. My arrows will be 11/32 50/55 spine so do I need to make them longer than 28"? Secondly am I right in thinking that I should put the finish (Danish oil and Beeswax) on before the fletching? (can I glue the feathers on over the finish?)
Finally is super glue any good for the Fletching? (I don't want to have to buy expensive glue from an archery supplier if there is a more common option.)
Thanks in advance

I'am at my wits end in regards to arrows.  Its almost impossible to get really good arrow flight with natural shafts.  I use all wood shafts and out of 10 arrows I may get 4 that fly ok the rest are duds.  It does not matter what you do to them becasue wood is wood and not every arrow is created equal, the grain varies from tip to nock.  I'am probably going to buy Carbon shafts with feather fletching.  Hopefully my grouping will improve by 30%.
Having said that I'am using various bows so I know its not the bow.    >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 04:10:25 pm »
Bow101, are you sure your natural shafting is from mature, well seasoned shoots? Are you spine testing them? Are you putting the stiff side of the arrow against the bow?
 Bows are pretty simple to make. Arrows, on the other hand, take lots of work to get them right. Jumping ship and heading to the "carbon" side won't teach you anything about making or using arrows. Spend time this winter working with natural shafting and make yourself a nice set of arrows you can be proud of.