Author Topic: new file knife  (Read 2700 times)

Offline bronco611

• God ,country ,family, flintknapping
new file knife
« on: November 10, 2015, 09:18:16 am »
I have been working on a new hunting and all around knife and I have always wanted a sharp finger style.  This is my version of this knife. The knife handle is from my deer from last year, and the blade is made from an old Nicholson file. The guard is made from a brass door hinge.  The knife is not finished yet I just assembled it to check out the fit and function and to see how it would feel in my hand. I still have to quench, temper, polish and sharpen followed by making a sheath for it. I hope you like it. The OAL is 9 inches, cutting edge is 3.8 in, and the blade is 4.25 in long.
FLINTKNAPPING IS EASY...I WAS ALWAYS TOLD I COULD BREAK AN ANVIL WITH A POWDER PUFF.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Re: new file knife
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 10:09:15 am »
Wow that knife looks great!  How did you make the guard from old brass hinge?
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 02:45:33 pm »
Looking real good.. She'll be a beauty when your done..
Thanks leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline bronco611

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 02:49:35 pm »
Yea I was having trouble finding any brass so I went to lowes and bought a solid brass door hinge cut it up and made the guard from it.
FLINTKNAPPING IS EASY...I WAS ALWAYS TOLD I COULD BREAK AN ANVIL WITH A POWDER PUFF.

Offline dbb

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 03:32:17 pm »
Really nice lines on that one,i like!
I do however prefer a shorter ricasso (the unsharpened part between the notch and the handle)as it robs you of a fair bit of leverage.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline bronco611

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 11:53:14 pm »
Thanks for that info, I am not a knife builder and never knew that about a knife, let alone what it is for. This is the second knife I am trying to make, the first was from a blank I purchased from a member on this forum. Why would you need leverage with a knife? I always use them to cut and if it is sharp enough it does not take a lot of pressure. I have one other blank like this one, one that has a tang and is a drop point, 3 that are like a steak knife and 5 that are drop point skinners. I plan to finish all of them but it is going to take a while, I work long and weird hours so I am limited in free time to work on the knives  after hunting and family time, if ya know what I mean.