Author Topic: Coywolf  (Read 2726 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Coywolf
« on: October 30, 2015, 09:30:08 pm »
Primitive Tim posted this link on Facebook and I found the reading to be interesting.  There will be all kinds of comments back and forth about whether this is a good thing or bad.  Just remember, Mother Nature really does not care about your opinion on the subject. She is doing something to fill a niche where the old predator disappeared. 

http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21677188-it-rare-new-animal-species-emerge-front-scientists-eyes
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
Re: Coywolf
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 11:04:26 pm »
They're called coydogs here in Vermont, though they aren't very large part dog, compared to wolf, according to that study. I hear them fairly often at night, but only seen one, soon after sunrise beside the road when I was driving. It did look bigger than a coyote and not as sharp faced, wolf like, though not as large as a wolf either. There's an interesting side by side comparison of skulls of western and eastern coyotes (or coydogs, coywolves or whatever you want to call them) on Wikipedia. Quite a bit more powerful skull with much larger canines:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_coyote
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 11:07:19 pm »
VERY interesting!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 11:29:10 pm »

Choot em!

Wayne

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 12:06:03 am »
We have them in N Alabama, I have seen them several times, about 1/3 larger than normal coyotes, dark backs, just different looking.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 03:59:03 am »
They're called coydogs here in Vermont, though they aren't very large part dog, compared to wolf, according to that study. I hear them fairly often at night, but only seen one, soon after sunrise beside the road when I was driving. It did look bigger than a coyote and not as sharp faced, wolf like, though not as large as a wolf either. There's an interesting side by side comparison of skulls of western and eastern coyotes (or coydogs, coywolves or whatever you want to call them) on Wikipedia. Quite a bit more powerful skull with much larger canines:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_coyote

Glad you bring up coydog. I think that really must be more of what they are.
In my thinking---- With out having wolves in the states for 100 yrs or so,
How could wolves add additional dna to the mix? Not just that  but both
coyotes and dogs contain plenty wolf dna from scratch.
Either the paper is typical sensationalism. Or wolves are sneaking around
Boston and NYC un- noticed?
Perhaps the federal government is sneaking wolves back into the forests
like they have done with Puma?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 04:14:18 am »
Just 'cos it's Haloween JW you ain't gonna scare me...
Why are the light flickering?... What's that strange howling?  :'(
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 09:24:46 am »
If you look into coywolfs you will find that they were first recognised in Ontario around the turn of the last century, 1908-10. They spread south and now inhabit a good part of the eastern Us. They are a subspecies and not the product of continuing wolf coyote crosses.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 10:14:19 am »
The howling and yipping can be pretty amazing because once it gets going it sounds like it's coming from every direction, from a big crowd of animals and lasts quite a while. I don't know if it's just a trick of the night air or echo from the mountains. Sometimes the dogs in the neighborhood bark, but often not. Not too many dogs nearby anyway. Our dog doesn't bark at a howl fest.

Other spooky night sounds nearby (for the benefit of Halloween fanciers today) are fisher cat screams, and barred owls.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Zuma

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 10:36:18 am »
Informative.
Bobcats make your blood curl.
Oh and that comedian guy too. :o
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.