Author Topic: multi use arrow making tool.  (Read 1945 times)

riverrat

multi use arrow making tool.
« on: October 24, 2015, 08:39:17 pm »
i was looking over a tool i use for knapping.its a deer tine. has a point for flaking. it still had a part of the main beam attached to the end of the tine when i cut it so i ground this down. eventually i turned it into a small sized billet. well as time went on i started using it to burnish arrows as well. then i got to thinking, hmmm, if i put a hole the largest size of the shoot shafts ive been building i could use this for a arrow sizer/straightener as well.soo then i made the swiss army knife of arrow making tools :)i have some old tines laying around. im going to make ishy sticks with tines in them, one on each end. some big, some small, some round, some flat, as multi use tools to accompany this tool.if i make a small bag to carry it in along with my flint shaft scraper feather cutting tool,a sand stone ,and a hammer stone, id have a pretty nice primitive arrow making set up.anyways heres the finished tine , its about 20 years old, but it was still a work in process until today. :) Tony

riverrat

Re: multi use arrow making tool.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 08:40:48 pm »
it was quite a bit longer 20 years ago lol.Tony

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 08:50:34 pm »
Really like the multi purpose tools...if the edges of the holes are square edged they can dent the shaft when straightening them. Enlarge the edges to a rounded finish to prevent denting the shafts.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

riverrat

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 11:24:08 am »
i tried smoothing/rounding them with a large point. it took off the sharp edge. im going to do a little more rounding the edge out. thanks for the heads up. Tony

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 08:34:13 pm »
The original Leatherman :D

riverrat

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 04:57:27 am »
DC thats funny! lol :) , does look like a needle though. just a huge one.Tony

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 01:39:29 pm »
 The work benchs in my shop inside and out are full of drilled holes.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING