Author Topic: Tree ID sapling  (Read 5942 times)

Offline James Rodney

Re: Tree ID sapling
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 09:58:57 pm »
You know if you're going to be like that, I won't post another thing on here. I can do this with or without help.  Gun, sorry you feel the need to keep things going.
Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 10:12:43 pm »
If you're quick getting the bark off with a drawknife and scraper it's fine. I cut most of my whitewoods around this time, just seal the back and split it.
Springfield, MO

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 10:14:07 pm »
I'm pretty sure Gun is pulling your leg, but since it's a subject which creates arguments and an uninviting environment to Mr. Rodney, I suggest that it not be spoken of for a while until it has aged enough to be poked fun at a little without making James feel like he's not welcome here.
Cheers everybody :)
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 10:25:29 pm »
That comment was made out of humor, although obviously poor humor.  No malicious intent or offense meant whatsoever.  My bad.  Josh

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 02:09:24 pm »
You know if you're going to be like that, I won't post another thing on here. I can do this with or without help.  Gun, sorry you feel the need to keep things going.

He was just playing with ya, don't take it too serious  8)
I like osage

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 04:10:43 pm »
yes you can cut a sapling now,, you can even take it down to a growth ring it you like  , rough it out to the shape of a bow, coat the back and handle and fades,, let it stay outside in shed or something for a week or two( slow dry),, then bring inside for final dry,, hickory is pretty forgiving, and will make a fine bow if you get the moisture content down,, heat box might be good as you work on the final tiller before putting a finish on,,, this is a fine point, but if you cut the sapling and rough it out,, clamp it into several inches of reflex,,, it will keep it from twisting and give you a little better performance,, on the finished bow,,  :)

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 07:42:37 am »
Come on JR. We love ya here. Relax and have fun. No ill will from these folks that I have seen. Can't beat a quick and heart felt apology like that from Gun.

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 04:58:02 pm »
it's all good, just been a little busy with my Pregnant woman.  hormones are are running high!  It's all good Gun, i'm sorry for being a little sensitive poo boy.  lol . ( I have a valid excuse for the next 6 months).

So, what i've done is this.  i saved all the good saplings, and chopped down one that was decent.  now, i'm not really sure what i'm doing wrong, but every time i split a tree, i always end up with a very thin end, and a thick end.  i should let the wood split naturally yes?
Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2015, 06:05:30 pm »
So, what i've done is this.  i saved all the good saplings, and chopped down one that was decent.  now, i'm not really sure what i'm doing wrong, but every time i split a tree, i always end up with a very thin end, and a thick end.  i should let the wood split naturally yes?

If it's good straight wood and you can tell there isn't any twist, I saw a small kerf with a circular saw then split it with wedges. If not, just make sure you're splitting from the small end.
Springfield, MO

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2015, 08:22:21 pm »
As stated, if the grain is straight, a circular saw cut down the center aids splitting emensly. I use this on most of my saplings and have never had a problem.

Offline PatM

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2015, 09:12:03 pm »
Using a thinner wedge also helps.  We al know you're not supposed to hammer on the back of hatchets but you can take a cheap one and drive it in the side on the line you want your end split to follow.

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2015, 11:00:16 pm »
Well, after several hours of splitting and scraping off bark, which was pretty easy to get off once you realize how far down to go, just pulled off in long strips. Unfortunately, this sapling was riddled with knots much like all the dogwoods I've sacrificed. All the trees I had to chop down, I chose one that ended in disappointment.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2015, 11:03:15 pm »
Did it have very many leaf scars on it, yet a straight profile, every leaf scar is most likely a knot, even if it is not raised.

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2015, 11:15:39 pm »
It was kinda rotted in the middle.. By the time I removed the bad parts from belly, it was practically junk. 1/2 inch or less.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2015, 11:55:05 pm »
I see, I cut a mulberry simalar to that a while back, I feel your pain. The thing was pipe straight, it was the cleanest mulberry I think I've seen. I cut it down and found out that It had a rotted middle and that barely .75 in was salvageable on the bottom and in the middle around 1in  fading to 1.5 at the top. I scooped out all the bad stuff and washed it with a bleach and vinegar mix to kill all the fungi and I think I might be able to get a 59in bendy handle bow from it. It Sucks to think you just cut primo wood and find out it wasn't so primo.