Author Topic: Fire finish on bows?  (Read 3507 times)

Offline snowplow

Fire finish on bows?
« on: October 23, 2015, 10:32:34 am »
Do any of you guys do a fire finish on a bow? How about branding or wood burning? I am thinking this little white vine maple bow I'm making for my son might look cool with a burnt looking back and white belly with the name wood burnt in on the lower belly side limb. Could you seal over this with clear or oil?

Thanks guys!

Offline PatM

Re: Fire finish on bows?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 10:41:30 am »
 You can't burn bow backs.  Bellies should only be carefully toasted. Keep any decorative burning to non working areas.

riverrat

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 11:22:28 am »
burned a story into the belly of my bow. on a sunny day i traveled to horseshoe island where i found a tree i could make a snakey bow from. found a few feathers, a piece of flint, as well as some shoot shafts and stinging nettles so i made some arrows as well.while i was making a arrow i tried my hand at fishing and caught a catfish...its all explained here. lol oh yea i toasted that elm a bit. shoots great. love that bow :) Tony

Offline snowplow

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 03:47:47 pm »
That's a neat idea. My son wants it really primative looking. Unfortunately I already stripped the bark off or that would have been perfect. So just looking around for ideas. Bummer on toasting the back.

What does it do to the bow?

Offline le0n

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 03:53:25 pm »
burned a story into the belly of my bow.

that's so cool.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 03:59:47 pm »
Here is a bow that I took a touch to the belly side of. It's Osage orange and all it really does is make the grains pop. And I guess a bit of a heat treatment after the tiller was done. It's name is The Fury, hunterbob is the owner.
Patrick
After the torch.

Before the torch.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:29:24 pm by lebhuntfish »
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline snowplow

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 05:02:15 pm »
That is exactly the look I was thinking of, to highlight the grain! Even planned on using a handheld torch.

So this cant be done on the back of a bow? It seems like it wouldn't take much heat at all?

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 05:13:37 pm »
l'm not an expert with bows, but i do know wood. I made a coffee table a few months ago and was experimenting with how direct flame affects the strength of wood.  first you don't want to actually "burn" then wood.  you just let the flame barely caress it.  heat can make wood stronger, but in the case of a bow, one flame lick to many in one spot could cause it to splinter. and that is the death of your bow.  i actually like aged wood.  i'd see what Marc's take on it is. but i'm sure Pat is correct.  you could also, try your hand at a sinew backing, try and get it thin, and clear as possible. so you can still see the aging in the wood.  could possibly make it look even older.

when i tested pine strength, it failed miserably. but harder woods could be the difference in my experience.
Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 05:23:01 pm »
Heat is good for compression, poor for tension. When heat treating if you get your heat bouncing off the caul onto the back you will scorch the back and greatly increase the chances of a tension failure.
 Get a piece of string and hang a weight from it and caress the string with a blow torch and see what happens.

Offline Ghost308

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 09:33:19 pm »
I remember as a kid my brother doing a smoke job on his bike, he would use a piece of inner tube and butn it and let the smoke hit the bike. it was easy looked good and was cheap. Flame did not contact the steel at all.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 11:27:17 pm »
I just done that to a piece of bone with a candle that had a tall wick.
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 11:36:08 pm »
Remember you have to get the finish on without wrecking the effect you have achieved.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 03:49:51 am »
What's about fuming with ammonia? Simson has done it with sucess.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 11:12:27 am »
  Contrary to both intuition and what some of the replies say, I HAVE done several burned in patterns on the back of a bow, and SOME survived.  This was before I knew better, BTW.

It worked better on bamboo than one wood.  The deal was I used a VERY hot flame, like a propane torch, that will darken the very most shallow layer of wood super quickly, like literally less than a second in any one spot. Like, swing it across an inch away and only make one pass. I did chevrons down the limbs of on bamboo back that were pretty cool..

BUT, I wouldn't do it today.  I have enough problems with the edges of a back getting too much heat bouncing off the form when belly treating, as it is. 

Woodburning can look darn cool in handles and shelves.  I love that heat treating bellies usually leaves a dark and light random pattern no matter how evenly I try to cook it. 

If you do it to limbs or handle, clamp it down first, too, because sometimes a stave will react wildly to even a little heat.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 11:31:59 am »
burned a story into the belly of my bow. on a sunny day i traveled to horseshoe island where i found a tree i could make a snakey bow from. found a few feathers, a piece of flint, as well as some shoot shafts and stinging nettles so i made some arrows as well.while i was making a arrow i tried my hand at fishing and caught a catfish...its all explained here. lol oh yea i toasted that elm a bit. shoots great. love that bow :) Tony

That is awesome Riverrat!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso