Author Topic: First time red oak longbow build questions  (Read 4712 times)

Offline KelRob

First time red oak longbow build questions
« on: August 30, 2015, 09:14:58 pm »
Hi,

I am going to be making 2 red oak 66" longbows. I have 2= 1" x 2" x 72" boards and 1 1"x 2" 24", for the riser, with good straight grain. 1 of the 72" is flat and the other has a concave bow shape. I have a few questions:

1. Would one use the concave board? To shorten it, I would cut equal parts off each end.
  1a. Would one put the riser on the concave or convex side?

2. Does it matter if one would to shape the 3/4" down to 3/8" then shape the 1 1/2" down to 1/2?

3. Is a backing needed? I plan on keeping one for myself and another as a gift and want them to last.
  3a. If I need to use a backing, What would be a good inexpensive backing material be?

Thanks,
 KelRob

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: First time red oak longbow build questions
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 10:31:40 pm »
Do a search for "easy board bow build", by Bubby. He gives dimensions and answers pretty much all questions. If you can't find it, I'm sure somebody with the link will chime in. Welcome to PA by the way. Good luck with your bow, and post some pics along the way, everybody will be happy to chime in with some help.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline J05H

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 10:51:34 pm »
Hi, and first off, welcome to PA!

I'll take a shot at answering your questions.

1. Assuming its not too extreme, yes you could use it. The concave shape you mention is what we call either reflex or deflex depending on which direction it bends. In the case of a board, you can basically choose which you want it to be, which brings me to the next point.

1a. You would attach the riser block to the convex side so that the ends of the board are bending away from the handle. This is reflex. If you did the opposite and the ends of the board bend toward the handle, this is called deflex.

2. I interpret this question as does it matter if you establish your width taper before or after your initial thickness. If that is correct, then the answer is no... sort of. What matters is that you get the bow bending evenly througout. Everyone develops a different process, but the majority, I believe, lay out their width first leaving themselves a bit of a saftey margin, and then establish an initial thickness taper prior to tillering. This is the way I do it.
    I'd like to add that you should glue on your riser block before reducing your thickness and shape it all as one unit. Otherwise, if you glue a riser block onto a 3/8" thick board,  you're nearly certain to have it pop off when the bow starts bending.

3. If your red oak board truly does have good straight grain, then I don't think it would need a backing. I've made several RO board bows with no backing. But, being a beginner, a rawhide or linen backing would be good insurance against both mis-reading the grain and tillering errors in terms of personal safety. Neither will prevent a bow from failing, only from harming you if it does.

3a. Although I've never tried it, many have reported using rawhide dog chew toys to back a bow. I prefer linen cloth. Both are relatively inexpensive, but real linen cloth may prove to be difficult to source locally. I ordered mine online.

I'm sure you'll get several more opinions and I hope mine was helpful.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 03:52:51 am »
Agreed 100%
One thing I would add is to make what is called a pyramid bow. All this means is that the bow tapers in width like a long triangle from the widest point at the fades to the tips. I'd make the fades about 1 3/4 wide taper to 1/2 wide at the nocks.
This width profile means that the limbs should bend in an arc of a circle thus making the tiller easier for you to judge.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 09:59:19 am »
Here's series of vids that may be helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBC37B17900FD25F8
I'd use fewer power tools (particularly sans tablesaw) and some different techniques, but vids seem to be good overview of the bow-creating process and more comprehensive than other vids have seen.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 10:07:46 am by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 02:09:21 pm »
+1 for bubby's build-along.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DesertDisciple

• Arise, for it is your task, and we are with you
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 02:57:06 pm »
+1 to Bub's build along as well. I had the priveledge of working on mine with him (he did most of it ;) )and ended up with a sweet longbow.

We used a thickness taper of 5/8th at the fades to 3/8ths at the tips. I left mine wide for about 2/3 of each working limb then tapered to half inch tips. This is more personal preferance than anything, and like mikekeswick said, pyramid is easier to tiller and potentially faster to make. Tips were narrowed to 3/8 later.
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline KelRob

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 05:23:21 pm »
I plan on using a red oak backing on one of my bows. My question, is 1/8 a good backing thickness? Or, should I go thinner?

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 06:05:06 pm »
1/8" is good
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 10:20:36 pm »
Nice buildalong, Bubby. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!