Author Topic: Yew recurve-Postmortem please  (Read 8020 times)

Offline DC

Re: Yew recurve
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 03:49:24 pm »
Thanks guys. The abalone was a bit of a PITA. It's lumpy so it was hard to match up with the wood. And it curves the wrong way so it's tough to get a smooth pass. I'm not sure I would use it again, at least not the way I did.

The nice white sapwood has many, many RPI. The next layer not so many. We think it first layer was while the tree was completely surrounded by other trees so it grew slow, then they clear cut next to it and the light could get through. I've got the sister stave to this one, I may try to reduce the sapwood down to the nice white layer. Good job for when we go camping next year.

I had to bend it in the handle a bit for string alignment. Somehow doing that twisted one tip a bit. It took three treatments to get it spot on. I put temp nocks on it and used a stringer so I could brace it early. It was a grunt but it paid off. I really didn't have to do a lot of tillering after I got it braced.

I sure wish I could pull fifty pounds. I would like to try it but thats not to be.

Thanks for all the nice comments

Offline bow101

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 06:04:32 pm »
Good job. Keep building 'em heavier like that or not so heavy maybe 44# would be adequate.   Short to at 64".   If I can pull over 42# and hold for a few seconds you can do it to.   
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 06:34:13 pm »
Simple, clean lines, nice curves. Nothing not to like about that one.

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 11:31:39 pm »
Turned out really nice Don!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 12:29:22 am »
It didn't last very long. I delivered the bow yesterday and he called me today and said it broke big time. All I have is this picture. He will bring the parts in a couple of weeks when he comes down. You can see on the top piece that there is a knot at the right hand end, right above the stray tip overlay. He said that you can't see the knot from the back. I'm thinking that the second layer of sapwood grew over it and when I reduced the sapwood I got too close. That combined with me not being able to properly exercise the bow(I couldn't pull 50#) it just gave up. I'll post some more pictures when I get the carcass.

It looks like it came apart so hard it shook the overlay off the other limb.

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Yew recurve-Postmortem please
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 02:23:40 pm »
Bummer.... Hard to tell in photos, on most the yew bows I've seen break its either been a hidden problem, or a punky knot, all tension breaks.  Where those knots solid? If they can be dug out I always do and fill them, if not, they are usually harder than the surrounding wood.
Looking at your full draw I can't see any obvious flaws.

Offline bow101

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 02:31:36 pm »
It didn't last very long. I delivered the bow yesterday and he called me today and said it broke big time. All I have is this picture. He will bring the parts in a couple of weeks when he comes down. You can see on the top piece that there is a knot at the right hand end, right above the stray tip overlay. He said that you can't see the knot from the back. I'm thinking that the second layer of sapwood grew over it and when I reduced the sapwood I got too close. That combined with me not being able to properly exercise the bow(I couldn't pull 50#) it just gave up. I'll post some more pictures when I get the carcass.

It looks like it came apart so hard it shook the overlay off the other limb.

I have not broke a bow in quite a while,  now you know how I felt when I broke them.   Looks like she was over stressed.   I would try over stressing the bows to 29" it may help curtail some myths regarding what it will take and not.    :o
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 02:55:13 pm »
There were only two knots visible from the back and they were/looked solid. There seems to be a bunch of knots in that area and I don't remember any of them. Possibly the "second" layer of sapwood covered them.
You may have a point, if I had pulled it to 29 on the tree at least it would have broken there rather than in his living room.

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 03:07:33 pm »
I'm also wondering about the bottom tip. The top limb broke but the bottom tip came off. Is it possible that the tip coming of caused the whole thing? Or is it more likely that the violence of the whole deal shook it off? The tip was broken in half but that could nave happened when it hit the floor/ceiling/whatever.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2015, 03:11:14 pm »
Oooooh, that's a sickener .
Now't I can see. It loos like the whole limb went bang, so I think that shows it was evenly stressed, just something made it go bang.
I've learnt that sometimes this stuff happens and you can't always say why... we like to have a reason, maybe the wood was too dry, maybe too much reflex, maybe overdrawn, maybe a bang on the back or a patch of weak grain (wind shake) or a manky knot.
Just have to move on.
I hope it hasn't left you in a awkward situation, (mind a little embarrassment is good for the soul).
I feel your pain 'cos that was a gorgeous bow :(.
Attached is my guess as to where the failure started.
Is there a prize for the closest? >:D
Del
BTW. Did you shoot it in? I like to get at least 50 arrows through a bow, ideally 100. Can't with warbows tho' as I can't draw 'em these days >:(.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 03:49:21 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2015, 03:51:37 pm »
That's where I was thinking. It will be nice to get the parts in my hands so I can maybe see. On the broken tip piece you can see the knot right at the end. Thanks for the confirmation.

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 05:26:25 pm »
Man that is such a pity. It was a really great looking bow!
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2015, 05:35:44 pm »
Yeah, but now I get to make another and, hopefully, with a little more knowledge :D :D

Offline PatM

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2015, 05:45:14 pm »
Do yourself  and your friends a favor and get some flawless wood of a more reliable species.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 06:02:34 pm »
Yew isn't consider reliable? That's new to me