Author Topic: A different style ABO  (Read 2062 times)

Offline nclonghunter

A different style ABO
« on: October 20, 2015, 06:43:31 pm »
I have watched many Youtube videos with different ABO knapping techniques. I will not try to name the knappers but I am certain many of you know them. They all use an indirect knapping style by striking an antler or copper punch/flaker to remove a flake. I always wanted a third hand when trying to use indirect knapping so I came up with a method of holding the antler punch while I held the flint and striker in my two free hands. It is a method that I found to be powerful and accurate in working the edges. Antler punches can be quickly changed for different needs. You can also have several ready in case you do not want to reshape the one you are using.
I use a heavy thick piece of cow hide with a small cut or slit in it for inserting the antler punch. I also tie the antler punch in place with a piece of leather thong. Then lay it across my right leg with the punch pointing towards my left thigh. I use my left hand to hold a soft piece of leather that is sandwiched between a flat piece of sandstone and the flint. Place the antler punch on the platform and strike it with you striker. If all goes well you will remove a nice flake. I try to keep my fingers spread where the flake will be removed. I have had several coast to coast and overshot flakes with this method. Once you get all set and adjusted you can go along the edge platform and remove flakes in succession.
Give it a try, I hope you like it and are successful.......Good Luck
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline nclonghunter

Re: A different style ABO
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 06:48:01 pm »
One more....

Offline le0n

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 07:12:59 pm »
^^ very innovative.

also, thanks for this is an extremely generous share.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 08:08:39 pm »
Hey NC,
What you are doing is very fashionable 8)
Buuuuttt what I would like to know is how do you
equate your methods to ABO and for what reason?
Not trying to be a copper belly--
I just want to know WHY?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 08:25:08 pm »
Thanks Zuma, I try to always be fashionable...

My take on ABO is the type of tools used not the method because the true ABO method or technique is speculation. It is my understanding from listening to other knappers that ABO knapping is using antler, bone, stone and natural materials that could have been gathered from nature. The tools I am using are antler, stone and leather which are all natural materials and would have been available at all times through history. Knapping events that I have attended have stipulated that it be ABO knapping only ( Schielle Museum in Gastonia, NC). The use of antler, stone and bone are accepted and are used in different ways or methods by knappers there.

If my understanding is twisted or incorrect I am certainly open to the true definition of ABO knapping if one exists but if it is only another's interpretation or belief of what it means then I will stick with mine.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 01:32:18 am »
Thanks Zuma, I try to always be fashionable...
lol You are quite noticeable especially when you fill up the entire doorway. Thanks for the meaningful reply

If my understanding is twisted or incorrect I am certainly open to the true definition of ABO knapping if one exists but if it is only another interpretation or belief of what it means then I will stick with mine.
I never had a question about what ABO meant until these recent threads.
I guess that is why I jocked around about a possible name change.
I was supprised, errr shocked that quite a few posters agreed.
But I now think that rather than thinking something could be twisted or incorrect
it is an opportunity to re evaluate the term KNAPPING.
Which by the way means making gun flints in England.
I am acquainted with many posters here from the east coast and I know they are
mostly straight up and honest  guys with a passion for the understanding of the past and what those that went before us handed us on a silver platter.
Those folks that relayed their abilities to us had around 3 million years of platters
relayed to them. Expressing your views is the only way to pass the torch.
You can't do it by waiting for the archies to dig up your knapping pit to know what was going on in your neighborhood in 2015.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:35:48 am by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline turbo

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 11:21:42 am »
Interesting way to hold the punch Lyman, I haven't seen that approach. The only limitation I see is using different angles/staying in the slot. Is that an issue?

I've also experimented w/ a sandwich rock, usually in late stage thinning. It does add extra mass/support if nothing else. Keep us posted!

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 12:34:17 pm »
Turbo, Thank you. The rock does add extra strength to the flint piece you are working. I broke several when I first started using this style, until I added the sandstone rock for support. As far as angle goes I use my left leg for supporting my left hand and it allows you to use different angles on the preform easily. I am certain there are problems with it but like most knapping I am learning setting up the platforms is a must. When I try to cut angles I usually lose..give it a try I think you will like it.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 06:44:16 pm »
Turbo, I read your question again and realized I thought you were asking about staying on the face of the preform or the slot but I think you meant keeping the antler in the slot when striking it. If the leather is hard leather it vrips the antler but I punched holes on both sides and tied it around the antler underneath. I have used it for hours and it never came loose. Hope I answered it right this time.

PeteDavis

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 09:45:03 pm »

Interesting method sir.

Offline turbo

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 10:32:59 pm »
Turbo, I read your question again and realized I thought you were asking about staying on the face of the preform or the slot but I think you meant keeping the antler in the slot when striking it. If the leather is hard leather it vrips the antler but I punched holes on both sides and tied it around the antler underneath. I have used it for hours and it never came loose. Hope I answered it right this time.

Yes, I meant this, sounds like a good solution. I know you've seen Marty's videos and probably know before he put it on a stick (which I plan to do) he used his leg to hold it. I've tried that but like you found it clumsy.

The only punch I have is elk and is on the smaller size. I need to score some good/mostly straight whitetail antler to make some. Been using the buffalo horn but need a medium size whitetail to punch some of that Georgetown I got from Curtis.