Author Topic: Tree ID 1  (Read 1856 times)

Offline James Rodney

Tree ID 1
« on: October 20, 2015, 05:59:09 pm »
ok, everyone said they like the Tree I.D game, so here goes! 

The limbs incline upwards.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 06:03:52 pm by James Rodney »
Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.

Offline James Rodney

Re: Tree ID 1
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 06:00:52 pm »
Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 06:01:50 pm »

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 06:02:59 pm »

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 06:12:04 pm »
Flowering dogwood.

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 06:17:31 pm »
good, i just wanted to make sure! that's what the other bow i just trashed was.  but i had a few peeps say they didn't think it was dog wood.  now, on to the next question.  Is flowering dogwood good for making a bow? 

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 06:18:25 pm »
or should i move on to another species?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 06:25:57 pm »
That is a typical dogwood leaf, both tree and bush types.  The bark is flowering dogwood like Pat said.
 Dogwood will make a good bow. What other trees do you have access to.?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 06:27:39 pm »
90 acres of trees.. lol i'm fixing to post another.

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 06:29:02 pm »
there are tons, and i mean tons of these dogwoods back here. . .

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 08:46:46 pm »
Then get to cutting!!!!! I like dogwood, although it seems to be a little fickle with pin knots on the back.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 11:11:48 pm »
90 acres! Sounds like fun. That allows you to be very picky with tree selecting.

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 12:40:23 am »
Yea but mostly what's out there is pine.  There's an old walnut tree I found, but it's not in good shape, I may be able to get some limbs off of it. Don't know how well walnut would do. Any thought on that?

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 01:04:03 am »
There has been good bows made from black walnut, but sounds like you have better options.
Just google bow and any wood and all sorts of stuff will pop up, good way to get design ideas

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 06:23:07 am »
Dog wood can be tough to find clean and straight with no twist or too much knots,character,or punky wood...but once found makes a good bow.

Id leave the black walnut alone for now if i were you...its at the bottom of the list of mediocre useable bow woods,and it is not tolerant to novice errors and mistakes...but its such a beautiful wood...i wish it had better properties for bow making.

The best thing youve found and got is the hickory james. Its in the top three woods for someone to learn on. Good clean straight hickory is hard to beat for a novice. Id start there if i were you. Its so tough itll hold up with a less than desired bend..it might take more set with a bad tiller but itll hold,and thats whats important for your first attempts...and hickory is one of the easiest trees to find a good clean nice one...like others have told you once you find one there tends to be more around....any size will basically do as well so small saplings to large trees (but not too big as it could be a lot of work cussing and swearing bringing it down AND splitting it. Get help if its bigger than 8" in diameter to fell and split.