Author Topic: Ash flatbow, figuring out design aspects.  (Read 7957 times)

Offline bowyer420

Ash flatbow, figuring out design aspects.
« on: October 19, 2015, 06:05:48 pm »
Hey guys been reading here for a while and just joined  to get some help and info, and hopefully showcase a bow if all goes well!

I've got a 2" X 1.3" x 69" piece of ash timber at the moment, and have read that because ash is stronger under compression than tension my best bet would be to make a flatbow?

I've found these designs:

and  I'm considering following them except additionally I would have have a "self backing", by taking maybe ~ 3/8" thickness of the ash and flip the end round so the back and belly have different grain and glue it back on to help with structural integrity.
because although the grain was as straight as I could find there is a minor runoff.

Would you have any suggestions on the dimensions of such a design? Or instead would some sort of normal long bow still be possible?

Also I'm a bit confused about where to place the handle, as in should it be below center so as to fire the arrow from center, or handle on center so as to fire from above, or have a long handle section so i could do either? I don't intend to build a shelf, just to use my hand, so whats the traditional method with hand shelf? i.e should my hand be in middle with arrow above or hand below with arrow in middle.

I really appreciate any help and advice as I'm new to this (my first bow)!

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 07:58:02 pm by bowyer420 »

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: Ash flatbow, figuring out design aspects.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 08:41:47 pm »
Narrow the tips to 1/2 an inch and the limbs to 1.75 and you should be good to go, also make the handle centered and pull the arrow from about 1in above center, the fades should be about 1.5 to 2in long and the handle 4-5 inches. Thickness taper from .75 at the fades to 5/8 at the tips should give you plenty of tillering room. Also, ash is very tension strong not compression strong :)
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 08:43:53 pm »
Also, how many run outs are on your ash board, if two or less per limb than you should be good to go. Pics might help.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline bowyer420

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 09:01:57 pm »
Thanks very much for the help!   ;D
Theres only one section where there's a runoff, the rest of the grain runs straight. (im not quite sure how runoffs are counted, if you mean by number of grains that run off then quite a few, but only in this one bit), don't have a camera but im just trying to work out how to upload it with my webcam will post pic in min

EDIT:
uploaded pic:
thats the runoff, kinda looks worse from side aspect of wood too, but I read its the grain on the wide bit (shown in pic) that matters, bout to add photo of side too tho.
other than this section the grain is pretty much dead straight

EDIT2: pic of side of this section with runoffs.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 10:04:17 pm by bowyer420 »

Offline OTDEAN

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 09:09:06 am »
Good god man, chuck that on a fire and go do some midnight pruning and get ya sen a lovely sapling to become acquainted with!   >:D >:D >:D >:D

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 09:38:15 am »
Where is that in location on your board? Thats no good for an unbacked bow if thats in the working limbs..handle maybe,but not where wood is bending...even a "soft" backing might not hold that together...what also worries me is that pin knot i see as well in the runoff area....are you SURE that the rest of the board has straight grain down the face AND sides? If so you might be able to use it and out that runoff/pin knot area as your handle area...but it will have to be a stiff handle and "smoothly" executed....

Honeslty id get another board dude ;)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 12:13:40 pm »
Yes, good advice.
One reason board bows fail is becasue of poor grain with too many run outs or run offs.
More onmy site.
Jawge
http://traditionalarchery101.com/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 01:05:52 pm »
That run off is terrifying, I may have nightmares tonight   >:D
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 03:09:54 pm »
Yup, better grab a better board. Your dimensions are good. Ash needs that 2" width to keep a nice shape, it like to follow the string if not wide and long enough, as well as properly tillered.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowyer420

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 04:15:49 pm »
ahh that's disappointing, thanks for the info guys, better I know now than find out when i try to tiller.
I'm in the process of looking for a new board now, unfortunately the selection around here ( where I am in NZ) isn't that great since most bow woods round here are considered specialties and not sold in hardware stores.
 Rather than scrap the wood do you think it'd be worth trying to make a lite bow out of it (30 - 40#) and self backing it, might it hold in this case? I'd just feel better trying to do something with it than scrapping it completely.. dollars down the drain haha

Also the runoff shown is pretty much right at at the end of the board.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 05:09:39 pm by bowyer420 »

Offline OTDEAN

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 06:04:42 pm »
Can you not access a small diameter tree, does not have to be big in diameter if you want to make a light bow.   ;D

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 06:11:48 pm »
can you not order staves off of Ebay from New Zealand?
Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.

Offline bowyer420

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 06:39:55 pm »
Can you not access a small diameter tree, does not have to be big in diameter if you want to make a light bow.   ;D
We don't have the right tree species growing in nz as far is im aware.

Offline bowyer420

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 06:41:22 pm »
can you not order staves off of Ebay from New Zealand?
I just thought I would be better off being able to inspect the wood in person before purchasing it but I suppose it may be the better option

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 06:46:09 pm »
There has to be a native NZ species that is good for bows. Anything else just doesn't make sense.