Author Topic: Why bother searching for the Perfect Board, when you can use fiberglass backing?  (Read 10062 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

sounds like where you live is very difficult to get wood,, fiberglass is probably the best way to go for you,,, best to you in your bow building,,  :)

Offline bubby

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
There are plenty of natural backings including sinew, rawhide, linen, silk and burlap from best to least. I would not use sinew on a board. Too much work but it'll get the job done too.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Bowyer Wannabe

There are plenty of natural backings including sinew, rawhide, linen, silk and burlap from best to least.
Thanks.
What if the board is plain sawn and has run offs in its grain? Would silk backing help such a board bow stay in one piece?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
There are plenty of natural backings including sinew, rawhide, linen, silk and burlap from best to least.
Thanks.
What if the board is plain sawn and has run offs in its grain? Would silk backing help such a board bow stay in one piece?

The silk will likely keep the bow together but it will have a better chance of doing so if you take the edges off the board before applying the silk.  That way the back of the bow will work more from the center with little wood working on the edges
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline willie

wannabe-

are the run offs what you see in the rings, or are you following along a split in the board?

if the board is plain sawn, it helps to look at the edge rings also.

a photo of the edge and face would help

willie
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 07:17:12 pm by willie »

Offline George Tsoukalas

It depends on the number of run outs (run ups) per limb.
For a 50-55# bow up to 2 per limb is ok.
For 3-4 per limb then use silk.
Anymore than that then go with linen.
That's a rough guide.
Yes, always round the edges.
There can be no knots in a board no matter how small. It will likely break there.
More on my site.
Jawge
http://traditionalarchery101.com/

Set Happens!

Offline Bowyer Wannabe

^ Thanks, this helps a lot.
I am starting to think that my theory is right and that backing can turn a bad board into a shoot able bow.

OK people, I will use silk or linen and not fiberglass, but I suspect that my board will still be of less than stellar quality. Of course, I have to find it first. Will check at few other places tomorrow.

Offline George Tsoukalas

I built 2 ash bows of low poundage for my nieces. The staves were not good but survived with a linen backing. Linen is better than silk. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
^ Thanks, this helps a lot.
I am starting to think that my theory is right and that backing can turn a bad board into a shoot able bow.

OK people, I will use silk or linen and not fiberglass, but I suspect that my board will still be of less than stellar quality. Of course, I have to find it first. Will check at few other places tomorrow.

A bad board is still a bad board. Backing is not the savior of all bows. It can save some, but most of the issues you run into are mistakes by the bowyer himself.

seems like black locust is replanted in some places for firewood? maybe could find a nice piece for reasonable price.

Black Locust is used all over Europe for more than just fire wood. They don't yet have (hopefully never will) Locust Borers, so they can use the wood for furniture more readily.

About boards, I think boards are harder to make bows out of than Staves.

About the use of fiberglass (Spits on the ground), It's a mess. It is a health hazard. It stinks. It is a fire hazard.
It does have its place, but in my opinion it is not here.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 12:26:34 pm by JoJoDapyro »
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

riverrat

in regards to your original question in the title of this thread...for the same reason i dont have chinese kids build it for me :) Tony