Author Topic: Dogwood bow  (Read 10911 times)

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: Dogwood bow
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 08:25:27 am »
Wizardgoat, I thought the act protecting pacific dogwood was repealed?
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 09:13:59 am »
If you are still on the long string your 20" ain't 20".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 09:43:51 am »
You could do a sinew patch.  This an Elm recurve that developed a crack while hunting in cold, dry weather.  It saved the bow and allowed me to keep hunting with it that year

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 11:46:12 am »

It was, in 2002. How would someone from Florida know that????

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 11:53:12 am »

It was, in 2002. How would someone from Florida know that????

Perhaps the interwebs.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 01:15:52 pm »
I'm going to attempt a sinew backing for it. just for the sake of practice.  first bow, first backing. never expected it to come out as good as it did.  also, It's still on the long string, i'm going to get the appropriate rasp today.. i've been using a little tiny thing.   had to cancel my last trip to the hardware store, I was getting screamed at, if i recall the words correctly it was,  BABE! I'm Pregnant! lol. 

So my bow making day's are prob going to get cut short before i really got started.   Another beautiful thing will replace it.  until it goes to sleep  ^_^
Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 01:45:23 pm »
Your bow is not braced yet?
Yes looks like Pacific Dogwood is free game, thanks for the info.
There's too much good yew to cut around here though, not sure if I could spare the room 😉
And congrats on the kid, my wife is pregnant as well 😀

blackhawk

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 01:52:24 pm »
So i tallied up the votes aaaand....

4 folks said its either doomed or toast(5 if ya include me, and 6 for someone else i know that hasnt said anything public about it...yet)

2 said a sinew patch might get ya by for a little while

And only 1 said that sinew will give you a better chance at success than rawhide,but i didnt get the impression  he was telling you thats what you should do to this piece of wood. ..

So..basically no one told you that you should sinew it,but yet thats what your gonna do???  ??? Why ask for help,and then not listen to the collective voice of experience?  ???

Learn to tiller WELL,and be able to hit weight consistently before getting into the time consumption of sinew backing.

Me...id burn it and not waste my time...you can try a sinew patch and wrap over that and itll give ya a quick little "feel" of how to and learn to work with sinew...but i still WOOD NOT put that in the hands of anyone else let alone a child...who knows how deep that rot goes,and it looks like a ticking time bomb to me and it def has a short expiration date on it. Set it aside,burn it,or experiment with patching,but get a better piece of wood to learn on. Your already severly handicapped never making a "bow" yet and trying to learn on iffy wood makes it even worse...and LOTS more frustrating trying to learn. You want success asap otherwise youll get sick of it and stop trying. Learn on better wood
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:56:22 pm by blackhawk »

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 02:06:30 pm »
So, if this wasn't saying i could do it then what was?  And why is it, no matter what anyone say's, you have a very rude way of voicing your dislike of others decisions.  In my opinion, I'd rather not have you post or comment anything about what i do from now on.  i don't want your opinion.   

You could do a sinew patch.  This an Elm recurve that developed a crack while hunting in cold, dry weather.  It saved the bow and allowed me to keep hunting with it that year

I also, never said that i cared if the bow "lasted" or "made it" through the trials of time.  It's MY first BOW!   stop acting like i know exactly what i'm doing or even talking about for the matter.  i said, First bow, First backing.  Practice makes perfect and i could care less if i made 100 bows and they all turned out to be S**T. as long as that 101st one came out exactly like i wanted.  I'm not doing this to be a perfectionist as you seem to think you are.

Here is what i think. 

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 02:57:07 pm by Pappy »
Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 02:18:48 pm »
James, Being an Askhole is a good way to not get anymore help. People are here to help, until you just do whatever you want after they have taken the time to write out what they think (from hundreds, if not thousands of bows) you should do. The problem with backing this (with anything) is that the knot is already showing a crack across the back of the bow. No matter how many layers of backing you put on it, there is still a crack in the back of the bow. Look at it like bondo. It may work for a bit, but it more than likely will still fail. In your little girls hands.

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2015, 02:22:45 pm »
it wasn't the point that it's going to do any good.  just for the practice of it.  and everything he say's sounds like a smart mouth.  I get it, the bow is finished, marc said i "could" do it.  that little crack isn't going to do crap with a little girl pulling it.  but it's all the same.  every time he's commented, he's been a douche bag.  i'd rather not even be on this forum with people making smartass comments. 

So sorry if this offends anyone, or breaks forum rules.  but learn to be constructive with your criticism without sounding like a dick.

J ~~ out. 

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2015, 02:36:21 pm »
OR, you could take the advice. I PMed you early on and told you that some people come across as being tough, that is just the way they are. They don't mean to sound like "douchebags". There is also how you personally take it. It is a good first attempt. Sometimes the wood doesn't want to be a bow, you can't force it. And the knot won't do anything to make the bow fail with a little girl pulling on it, until it does.

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2015, 02:38:26 pm »
i could also not really care.   Where i come from, are dealt with with a good kicking.   

any way.. i don't care anymore.  it's in the trash. 

as is this
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 02:58:23 pm by Pappy »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2015, 02:59:30 pm »
Careful/ sorry for your loss Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2015, 03:02:43 pm »
Thanks for cleaning up the trash pappy  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: