Author Topic: Growth rings on da belly...  (Read 2221 times)

Online ajooter

Growth rings on da belly...
« on: October 15, 2015, 09:12:34 pm »
How much attention do you pay to the growth rings while creating your thickness taper on the limbs?  More or less depending on design?  I'm working on a hickory bow right now..65" tip to tip...1 1/2 wide to midlimb then tapering to half inch tips.  Just wanted to hear some opinions.  Thanks in advance.

Offline bubby

Re: Growth rings on da belly...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 09:28:36 pm »
Zero, but i do like to get one ring in an area for statics
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 10:11:30 pm »
No need to pay any attention to any growth rings on the belly, only time I worry about growth patterns on the belly is when you have knots running across the belly as those can get compression cracks if treated the wrong way
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 10:35:28 pm »
I use them to determine rough starting thickness with the machete, then establish a rough taper with the draw knife by eye, then they go out the window for tillering.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 06:08:32 am »
I don't pay much attention to them except on a good straight piece then it is a good indicator
that you are keeping the sides even if you keep the points as you work down the limb in the center as they fad out. Like arrow heads pointing toward the tips. Not really useful on wood with a lot of character or knots but still just one more thing that helps if you watch it. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 10:23:44 am »
+1, good indicator, but not too much else.
Islands can indicate a thick spot but only if your eyes and fingers tell you the same.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 10:33:06 am »
When I started building wood bows all the books said to pay attention to the grain "feathers" on the belly as an indication of limb thickness, taper and evenness. After working on staves I realized that wasn't the case. If staves were perfect it would matter, but they are not. Now I use my thumb and fingers to feel the thickness of the limbs both lengthwise and side to side. I do use the "feathers" in some cases to see a difference of thickness because the "feather" will sometimes bulge to one side on thicker areas but I go mostly by feel.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 02:24:56 pm »
  I like to use them for roughing out my bows, sometimes the thickness will not allow it. I have found when bringing a bow down from a raw stave to approx thickness pulling the wood off the belly one ring at a time with my draw knife goes very quickly, maybe 1 minute per ring. So I bring it down one ring at a time until I get just a little flex in the bow and that point I pay more attention to the actual tiller. Very often the rings will be uniform and when it works out that way I use them but you can't count on them being uniform.

Online ajooter

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 08:12:50 pm »
I was leaning the same way you guys are.  The hickory stave I'm working had the cambium left on and I think the little islands I'm seeing are from some little humps and bumps under the bark because the thickness seems to be tapering nicely using the finger and ocular calipers.  I'll try and post some pics.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 09:40:16 am »
Please explain your last post, ajooter. 
Cambium is close to paper thin. I don't know how it could affect belly wood.
I agree. Photos are in order.
I seldom use growth rings on the belly.
Like Pappy does I may glance at them if the stave is perfectly straight.
Jawge
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 09:01:42 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 01:30:05 pm »
I look at them from a "it would be nice if" point of view. If I'm tillering and i notice that the flames are starting to develop I look and see if it would be possible to do. I think it would look great to have a "nice flame job" on a bow but it's for aesthetics only. I haven't hit one yet.