Author Topic: Grrr...  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Ippus

Grrr...
« on: October 18, 2015, 08:11:03 pm »
Riddle me this, Ladies and Gents:
Is there any way to salvage a branch that looked pretty good with the bark on, but turns out to have like 180+ degrees of twist over 6 ft?

Answer: Walking stick?

I will say that trying to split a corkscrew was an interesting experience.

The city arborist was nice enough to give permission to take a few shoots from some very old lilacs in one of the parks near here; they're like 20 ft tall and really overgrown, so I thought I could find a few straight ones in the shady places, which sort of worked. TBB IV has some positive things to say about lilac, so I thought I'd scored bigtime. Alas...
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: Grrr...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 08:15:55 pm »
you might be able to steam it out but it would be a heck of alot of work.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Ippus

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 08:34:18 pm »
I have some shorter staves I was going to make into kid bows, a couple of which have a little twist... can you recommend some good resources for info on steaming/heat-straightening?
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 08:40:27 pm »
steam some of the twist out and make a bow,, you have nothing to loose,, if you can get it to stay strung,, even with some twist it will shoot well,, :)

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 09:03:00 pm »
I'm sure there's a thread on steaming and heating but what I do is, I rough the bow out to near bow deminsions and then I put  it in the steam for 30-45 minutes. For heating, I make a big fire and then let it burn down to coals, then I move some of the coals around so I can do localized heating on the limb or reflex/ deflex area.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 03:34:49 am »
I have some shorter staves I was going to make into kid bows, a couple of which have a little twist... can you recommend some good resources for info on steaming/heat-straightening?
There's quite a lot on my blog (Bowyers Diary):-
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/removing-twist-from-yew-primitive.html
And I recently did a youtube video mind i'm doing a steam bend over a short area, but it's still interesting-ish ::)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCuXa95ffYI
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Ippus

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 07:47:45 pm »
Thanks, everyone. Del, I'm liking what I see on the blog... at least now I have an idea how that would work. I'll have to figure out a clamping system eventually and give the steam-straightening a try, but for now I think I'm going to "let the wood cure slowly" and wait until I have a little more experience before I give that a shot.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 10:04:56 pm »
You have received good advice so far. But here is my 2 cents. I think you said it was pretty green. If so you could clamp it on a board and probably take a good amount of twist out by adjusting the clamps every day or so. I have done this with a pretty twisted Osage stave that was fresh cut. I found you can really crank on it to. I pretty much destroyed a pine 2x4 doing this. When I was not able to get anymore twist out I just stood it in the corner for about 6 months. It only needed a little heat bending to finish the bow out. Oh and the 2x4 ended up twisted when I was done. It started out as an experiment, but I will do it again for sure when the time comes!
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 10:30:22 pm »
I'm sure there's a thread on steaming and heating but what I do is, I rough the bow out to near bow deminsions and then I put  it in the steam for 30-45 minutes. For heating, I make a big fire and then let it burn down to coals, then I move some of the coals around so I can do localized heating on the limb or reflex/ deflex area.
As an alternitive to steaming I was told by a Native American that his ancestors would sometimes bury the bow and build a fire on top of it. I am not sure at what stage they would do this though. Has anyone heard of this?
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 10:32:59 pm »
Probably when it was freshly cut as the evaporating water would create a type of steaming effect, I'm guessing here but I think it makes sense.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 11:22:37 pm »
It would certainly seem reasonable that you could bury a stave in a shallow trench, build a fire on top and effectively steam it with the moisture in the ground and the moisture in a wet stave.  I've cooked corn in a similar manner.

And I agree with Patrick.  I would not wait another day for the stave to dry before trying to straighten it as much as possible by clamping it to a form or caul.  If it has dried for a couple of weeks, I would steam it and then clamp it to a form.  Go for it!
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 09:16:24 am »
Mill the back flat and back it!
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3