Author Topic: Handle pop-off  (Read 1449 times)

Offline DC

Handle pop-off
« on: October 19, 2015, 12:26:06 pm »
PlanB made some comments on another thread that started to explain pop-off to me. He was reluctant to highjack a thread(commendable :)) so I thought I would start this one so he could continue. I have never understood pop-off and he sounded like he could explain it.
PlanB, please

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Handle pop-off
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 02:08:34 pm »
A handle riser will pop off the bow if there is any bending in the handle area, no matter what glue you use. There are ways to remedy this, however.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 02:52:10 pm »
DC

I hijacked my own thread and made some more comments on pop-off.

willie

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 10:23:44 pm »
A handle riser will pop off the bow if there is any bending in the handle area, no matter what glue you use. There are ways to remedy this, however.
What can you do? I usually bring the fades into the belly wood but I have a feeling I have a pop off coming soon.
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 11:19:43 pm »
As long as the plane of the belly is below the glue line the bow generally won't bend there. That's why I start with a 3/4" board and reduce it to a bow. The handle area is 3/4" and the limbs fade from there. A riser can be added to deepen the handle and that glue line won't pop.
 If your handle area bends just slightly at full draw you can add thin layers of graduated lengths of wood. This kind of riser will flex slightly.
If your handle area bends more a flexible riser material like leather or cork can be added and shaped to suit.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC