Author Topic: First Osage built TBB Vs Dean Torges  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Stick Bender

First Osage built TBB Vs Dean Torges
« on: October 16, 2015, 03:57:21 pm »
Hi guys I am going to be starting my first Osage build soon & kinda stuck on choosing a design,so figured I would throw it out for you guys with more exsperience , the 2 designs that I'm looking at are the TBB1 osage build or Dean Torges Osage hunting bow my draw is 29 in. My exsperience level is 3 board bows 2 good 1 failure & currently working on my fist Maple stave bow, so I would like to here your opinions on those or any other designs that would work for me ?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 04:02:01 pm by Stick Bender »
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline willie

Re: First Osage built TBB Vs Dean Torges
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 04:19:46 pm »
seems like both bows are proven designs. some folks like a flatter belly  than deans design, although dean does say that his belly is more rounded as product of his tillering and faceting method.

I see the differences being a result of methods, more than expected performance. if you have the confidence in your skills, choose either. If you like the detailed tutorial dean offers, why not?

Dean does say that his faceting method helps avoid problems if you are dealing with earlywood softness. your stave may or may not present these kind of problems, so the flatness of the belly you prefer might be all about how easy it is to tiller without making "steps" in the belly.

in the end, your craftmanship will determine more than the design per se

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 04:20:47 pm »
It depends on what you want really, you know there was a osage build series in pa a while back by Mickey Lotz, think it was a standard afb build and you can't go wrong there
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 04:42:43 pm »
Does any body know what issues the Mickey lotz build a long was in I would like to get it ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 06:35:02 pm »
I just happened to see it yesterday....here:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,38381.0.html

I love it when a plan B comes together....

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 06:37:55 pm »
Pick the one you like most and run with it...any are fine proven designs,but in the end it all comes down to execution and tillering which is more important.

Offline Aries

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 08:16:11 am »
I loved dean's book and my first successful bows were based on his designs. That being said I have grown away from them with experince.
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 08:58:06 am »
I prefer the sleek lines of a Torges type bow but his facet tillering never worked for me. I make what I call a "Krewson" bow, narrow, 1 1/4" wide, slightly rounded belly transitioning into round, slim tips.

I can spot someone carrying one of my bows a mile away, they are distinctive.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 02:32:51 pm »
great advice from above,, only thing I can add is,, I usually have the stave roughed out a bit before I commit to a design( checking for issues that might have been hidden,, but thats a fine point that might not apply here,, :)