Author Topic: need help please!!!  (Read 1662 times)

Offline maddog314

need help please!!!
« on: October 15, 2015, 12:09:08 am »
I had a hickory stave drying in the garage and I stated to strip the bark and noticed a ton of holes in it!!! I need to build a good shooting bow for my daughter for her 4-H shooting sports ( I am not going to let her use "training wheels"). Is there anyway to dry wood (possibly hickory) quickly?  My daughter is 9 and I need advice for a simple yet good shooting style to make for her. Her friend  joined with her and I am talking to her parents about going primitive as well.  Thank you!
Micah

blackhawk

Re: need help please!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 06:47:45 am »
I wouldnt build a bow for someone else out of that piece of wood. Experiment sure,but not in someone elses hands. Im assuming your trashing this one and want to go cut a new one and want to quick dry it. Cut a sapling,strip the bark,rdduce it down to floor tiller,but dont bend it too far. Weigh and record the weight of the stave. Then either clamp it down or dont to help prevent any twisting or side ways bends. Seal the back for prevention insurance. The first week just let it sit inside at normal indoor temps and mc. Then start to introduce it to some warmer temps by way of a hot box. Even a space heater in a closet works great..just be careful to regulate the temp and try not burn down the house...lol  😁 start with 90° for a week,then bump the temp up the next week 5-10 degrees. And same for the third week. By then itll be close,and you should be weighing it monitoring the weight loss. Once it has stopped losing weight for several days it shoukd be ready enough to do some long string tillering and ready for any heat corrections. Then proceed with finishing it when your ready. Ive gone from dripping wet off the stump to a great shooting bow in a month a few times.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 06:53:55 am by blackhawk »

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 06:52:00 am »
If it's got bug holes, I wouldn't use it. Do as Blackhawk suggests and you could have a shooting bow in a month or even less.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 09:49:29 am »
Here is what happens when you try to make a bow out of hickory with "little" bug holes;

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 10:53:28 am »
Can't beat Blackhawks quick dry for a stave, if you are really under the gun go buy a hickory or maple board and get a bow built
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline maddog314

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 06:43:56 pm »
I did not make myself clear as to the fact that the wholes ruened the wood I had been drying. Thank you guys for the concerns! I was getting at the fact that I needed to start drying a new stave since the other was ruened. Also, what are some suggestions in styles, backing matirial, glue( I have some raw hide I could make some hide glue from. Is hide glue suggestible for glueing backing or do I need to use tite bond 3??) . Is hickory good for a quick drying bow or do I need to look at other matirial? I work in the heating and air business so building a climat controlled dryer won't be much of an issue. Thank you for your help with these questions I know you all are very helpful when it comes to learning and that is why I am asking you for advice!
Micah

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 07:14:06 pm »
Hickory and most white woods can be dried quick.
I don't do it much anymore, because I have piles of dry wood now,
but it does work. Start cutting, peeling bark, and roughing out staves.
Seal them up and repeat.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 10:20:55 pm »
No need to back hickory EVER, the stuff is mega in tension. I always quick dry my hickory. i like a stiff handled bow that is 66in tip to tip and has roughly 1 5/8 in in width until the last 12in or a bendy handled bow that is 62in tip to tip and is 1 3/8 wide until 10 inches before the tip and with a narrowed grip down to 1 1/4 in.
Whatever you are, be a good one.