Author Topic: Committed  (Read 4639 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Committed
« on: October 14, 2015, 06:25:08 pm »
well I have been looking at this stave for months,, self bow??? sinew bow??? it is so nice I just hate to cut any length off it,,
anyway today I "committed" and cut off a bit from both ends to make an osage sinew back flat bow 55 inch ,, my favorite for now, but I am fickle , depending on what new inspiration you guys come up with,,, this site and you guys have been way inspirational and raised the bar and adjusted my paradigm,, its great,, I am having a great time working on some bows and I learn something every time I visit the site,, the bows are amazing here,, world class for sure,, the positive vibe and helpful spirit is truly amazing and I just wanted to voice my appreciation,,best wishes to you all in your bow making future,,( I am going to be dangerous now cause i just learned to post a photo  :) :) :) spelling and grammar I will work on next :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Committed
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 06:37:30 pm »
Good looking piece of wood, looks good enough to to go any direction you want , by the way good to have you here also , been seeing your work for many years. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 07:19:55 pm »
That certainly is a fine looking osage stave. Glad you figured out the picture posting puzzle, took me several attempts and a lot of coaching from my wife and daughter to be able to do it on my own. ;) Looking forward to seeing the pics. of the finished bow that you get out of that stave.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 08:10:20 pm »
  That is a nice stave Brad, you have the skills to do anything you want with it. I would probably go with some small recurves and possibly a very slight flex through the handle

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 10:21:10 pm »
I think i would put some big hooks, miwok style but thats just me i like big hooks😄
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 10:57:48 pm »
 ok thanks guys, I am already confused,, I guess I have to commit to a design at some point,, or I will just end up looking at it again :)

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 04:49:17 am »
   I misunderstood the post Brad, I thought you were looking for suggestions. By all means stick with what you had planned, that always works out the best!

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 06:31:00 am »
Thats a do anything ya want stave....nice piece of wood. Have fun!!!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 12:59:51 pm »
I like all the suggestions,, thats what so great about here,, creative input is infinite,,
Badger,, I like your idea ,, putting some small recurves would be nice,, we have talked about this,, I am at 7000 ft,,, seems I have a more difficult time bending the wood without cracking than I did at sea level,,, if I decide to do so ,, I will boil longer and assist with dry heat as I bend ,,,, maybe with two trys or bends cause I am just overly cautious about the cracking now,, thanks guys for the positive input,,  :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 08:47:34 pm »
I'm sure it will be an excellent bow, Brad.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 07:37:40 pm »
here is the bow a few weeks later,, with about 900 grains of elk back sinew ,,it has been on there about a week ,,,and is drying nicely in the high desert winter... dont worry about the recurves. my plan is to shoot it as is,, if I am not happy with the performance, I plan to splice on recurves,, so I can measure the before and after,, :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 07:57:20 pm »
Yep I've seen that here before.The big wait.A good 2 ounces on 4'.That'll do it.You should like it a bunch.I'm wondering though and maybe I'm interperating this wrong but you want to splice in recurves?Sounds good and I suppose a V splice,but why not do that before so you could put sinew over top the splice.I'm sure you'll wrap it there too.Sorry I'm just trying to peek ahead in your plans.With recurves added to your reflex you'll have a bunch to tiller out.Like 10" at least depending on your recurves.That'll shoot like a rocket.I'll be watching because I've had notions of doing something like what I think this might be.Would like to know your thoughts on what type of wood used for your recurves.I'm gonna say ash,elm,or spruce all edge grain.Maybe even mulberry.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 08:27:07 pm »
 Keep the pic's and info coming Brad....I'm watching this one close, can't wait to see the splices..... :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 08:43:13 pm »
Nice reverse tiller!
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 09:40:50 pm »
More than likely your going to like it just as is.It'll look a lot like bubby's horn bow.Did you see that?Your floor tiller was good...nice reverse bend.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed