Author Topic: Where are you REALLY from?  (Read 7233 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Where are you REALLY from?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 09:54:10 am »
I did my DNA testing through Ancestry.com, it cost about $100.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 10:02:37 am »
How do you do the DNA thing?
Is it expensive?

There are many more options now, than 10 years ago.  I'd do a little research for the best option.  I was able to chalk mine off to educator expenses...I think it was around $100.
1’—>1’

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 10:13:16 am »
How do you do the DNA thing?
Is it expensive?

There are many more options now, than 10 years ago.  I'd do a little research for the best option.  I was able to chalk mine off to educator expenses...I think it was around $100.
  It is close to $100. This program is neat because it not only gives a breakdown, but it shows how your family moved around the world as the DNA spread. I think it said there are about 200,000 participants in this one alone. It shows the Maternal, as well as Paternal lines, and how they go to where you are today.

I am fairly certain that the results will be surprising to my family. There are some areas where my family gets a bit blurred. In particular, one of my family members was married to one man, and then either divorced him, or he died and then supposedly married his brother. I like to call it our family totem pole. This is the family that split, my great grandfather came west with his mother, and his cousins (Brothers?) ended up in Hot Springs North Carolina. I-40 was built over the town that bore their name. Naillontown, in Tennessee. There is still an island there that bares the family name, in the Pigeon river. 
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 11:41:41 am »
I got my results last Wednesday. There are just shy of 800,000 participants. The last two markers on my fathers side are pretty unknown. On the paternal side I have a familial relationship with 2% of the worlds population. The markers can be traced back 167,000 years. On my mothers side, I share a familial relationship with only 1.1%. Her line can only be traced back about 70,000 years.

My dad would have to get the test done to see if his mothers side had a Native American line. Although my dads side showed that some of his markers moved East some time after coming out of africa.

I am 1.1% Neanderthal. The average human is 2.1%

JacksonCash

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 12:42:16 pm »
I think I've been convinced to give this a try. I really know very little about my family before they came to North America, on both sides. With the little guy on the way, it would be neat to be able to tell him a bit more than what I was able to find out when I was little.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 12:45:49 pm »
I think I've been convinced to give this a try. I really know very little about my family before they came to North America, on both sides. With the little guy on the way, it would be neat to be able to tell him a bit more than what I was able to find out when I was little.

It was cool, and well worth it. I was able to share the results with my sister, and all of my cousins, they at least got the information on either Paternal or Maternal sides that they are from.

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/

Offline kid bow

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2015, 12:40:02 am »
well all you guys have these long and tall family trees. no one knows about my family tree. I know I'm Italian and Sicilian. so all I know is I'm good at cooking and I slick my hair back >:) . seriously though ive spent weeks trying to find it out that ive actually started to document my own based on what I know.
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2015, 10:00:34 am »
This is a perfect opportunity to learn the truth. My family had a lot of false history. It was good to clear it up.

Offline bow101

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2015, 10:58:12 am »
At one point in time the goths invaded Europe and bred with the rest of us.  So having said that we are what we are and that is simply human.  Or are we Neanderthal is that why we spend time on this Primitive site.  ;D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2015, 11:16:45 am »
I have read that by the time of the American Revolution there were probably no 100% Native Americans. There had been generations of familiarity between the colonists and Native Americans including marriages, kidnapping>>>marriages, trapper intrusions and traveler intrusions. Some of the Native Americans provided a woman to trappers and travelers as part of their culture. Marriages have throughout history been means of welding societies together. Some of the US government agents who were sent to Native American groups to be their representatives to the government took Native American wives. Many of these took Native American wives.

When the Cherokees were rounded up and driven from North GA, any who had as much as 1/16 Native American descent were included in the roundup. Their slaves went with them, but I am not sure whether they were forced by the US government, or whether the Cherokees were allowed to take them along. Practically all of these were later considered full blood Cherokees.

In addition to that, there is always the untraceable element of mingling.

One of my 1st cousins had several kids in LA and MS before moving to FL. He and his wife had one after the move to FL. That child looked a lot different than the others, so he pressed his wife to confess, and she was adamant that that was his child. He told her he was going to have that one tested to see whether it belonged to him. She became furious. He had all of them tested and found that only the one born in FL was his. Then he divorced that wife and got a mail order wife. True story.

I have done a lot of family history research on my ancestry. There has been a surprising amount of sneaking around in there. My grandmother who raised me had a father who was a product of such a relationship. His illegitimate father was also married to his mother's sister. This thing had been hidden for many many years till I went door to door asking for information and got the lead that opened the truth.

There is a lot of reason to doubt family trees. And just think, none of us has done any such thing.  ;)

WA
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 11:22:13 am by Chippintuff »

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2015, 01:58:07 pm »
That is one of the reasons we started digging. During the forced move, a lot of Cherokee people took an Anglo family name to avoid getting pushed out. My family chose Black as their new family name, and the rest was buried.

An article I read said that due to the vast intermarriages between Cherokee and whites, that there is really no way to know based on DNA alone.

Offline willie

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 04:08:28 pm »
When the Cherokees were rounded up and driven from North GA, any who had as much as 1/16 Native American descent were included in the roundup.

when i lived in north Georgia I met plenty of folks that claimed a cherokee heritage, yet I have also heard similar claims about the removal

Can anyone link to some authoritative info about that sad chapter in our history, that would clear up just who was sent to OK.?

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2015, 09:31:28 pm »
Willie, I lived in Cherokee Co., GA when I did that research about 36 years ago. I have forgotten what the document was, but a lot of what I found was at the library in Woodstock, GA. I was surprised to find that a lot of the Cherokees had big plantations. They functioned as a nation in the world market. They mined stone (I think marble) in the mountains and sold it worldwide. They had big lumber mills. They owned a lot of slaves. They had their own government patterned after the US Government model. It included a congress. They printed their own newspaper in their own language. They had big sawmills. They were mining gold. In my opinion, that was the last straw, giving a huge incentive for taking their land and forcing them out.

There was an old story about the Cherokees hiding their treasures, including a very large amount of gold. They were given a year's notice of the impending move and were invited to leave on their own, but the ones who visited OK brought back word that it was not suitable for their style of life. They used the remaining time to hide their treasure, because they thought the soldiers would rob them on the way. Many buried theirs in a private place, but some used a collective site to bury theirs. A part Cherokee, Jacob Scudder, was allowed to be the go between the US and the Cherokees, and he got to stay. He was put in charge of the collective treasure and informed which treasure belonged to which family. It was agreed that after the move to OK family members would drift by to collect their treasure and Jacob would take them one at a time at night to the hidden spot and show each which was his. Jacob's fee was 10% of the treasure, and the family took all the keep sakes, of which there were many. Eventually Jacob died, but he appointed a replacement person and explained which treasure belonged to which family. Eventually that appointee died leaving no successor. In the early 1900s occasionally a lone Cherokee would come looking for the treasure, and he would follow the turkey track marks on rocks and trees with an occasional one being successful. Disappointment grew as the Cherokees realized that almost all the marks were gone. The trees had been cut, and the rocks had been moved. Finally one Cherokee gave up and told a white man what he was after. The hunt was on, but no one found the collective treasure.

I read enough about that collective treasure that I thought then that I could find it, but I also considered it a Cherokee secret, and I had no right to make the discovery. Every time I met anyone who said he was a Cherokee, I told him the story and offered to take him back there and help him find it. Every single one turned the offer down without giving it a second thought. Finally I decided that maybe it was meant to be a Cherokee secret for the rest of time.

If that depository was found, it would be the discovery of the best kept secret on this continent. It would also become a national monument.

I think one farmer found it, but he never returned home. It was booby trapped.

WA
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:36:12 pm by Chippintuff »

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2015, 09:36:52 pm »
That story would make a fine movie now.

WA

Offline willie

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2015, 01:17:21 am »
quite a story indeed

I  heard some of the same, many years ago, when I lived nearby