Author Topic: Geese  (Read 3255 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Geese
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 08:30:49 am »
I don't like wasting any of the bird so I pluck and cook the whole thing in the oven for 3~4 hours stuffed with herbs, onions and a bit of olive oil and about 1" of water in the pan.  I find the gizzard and heart to be especially tasty and actually prefer the leg meat to the breast
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 10:20:21 am »
How do you guys prepare goose?

Wonder if grinding it into burger and making patties would be any good?
I bet it would. They are good pulled and in tacos, breaded and fired like chicken.

If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 12:26:47 pm »
I love goose breast meat. I slice it thin, say 3/8". Then pound it out with a tenderizing hammer in seasoned flour. A quick, hot fry for a few minutes and its done. Very tasty and tender.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 09:35:17 pm »
I smoke em. Nothing better than good old smoked. greasy goose running down your chin. Base with a little sour mash, honey, and apricot preserves. Smoke over coals with any fruit or nut tree branches. I prefer apple and or black walnut.

20+ years ago I l resided on a sandpit near the Platte River where the Canadians took control during the migratory season. The dog would chase them and then they'd turn around and chase the dog

I wasn't into fletching my own at the time and just cringe every time I think about all of the goose feathers that I let slip through. Not just from the ones I shot. Them damn geese left enough feathers on the ground that I had to rake just to clean up the back yard  :'(
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 11:35:56 pm »
I like to filet off the breast meat and cut across the grain into 3/8" thick medallions, beer batter them and deep fat fry them up.  Not the healthiest way to prepare them, but pretty tasty!  Josh